Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Light and HDRI

Dear Group,

I am currently setting up an exterior scene, which I am using an HDRI sky for lighting. I have come across numerous post that discuss using dome lights in conjunction with HDRIs in lieu of placement of the HDRI map in the environment settings. It is my understanding that this method will allow for the HDRI to create shadows. However, I have not come across anywhere within the Vray manual or in this forum that show how to map the HDRI to the dome light. Is it possible to use an HDRI in conjunction with a dome light? If so, how is it done? FYI, I am using VRay 1.47.03 (I think) along with VIZ 2005.

Thanks

Marcus

The mappable domelight wasnt in 47.03 if i recall right...it's in later builds only...so i wouldnt swear by it

Comment

Originally posted by instinct
      The mappable domelight wasnt in 47.03 if i recall right...it's in later builds only...so i wouldnt swear by it
      Version 1.47.03 is the latest build available on the site. Are there any later builds available? Is so, then how may I access and download them?

Thanks

Marcus

Comment

the later versions are for the beta testers. some of the beta versions have been given to people who have specific needs and who ask nice enough to vlado

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

You'll get shadows from an HDR anyways. Usually people use a fill light in conjunction with HDR to obtain more control over direction and sharpness.

Advantage of mappable Domelight is better sampling, faster speed, and a few more controls such as light sudivisions. But to the best of my knowledge, it doesnt 'create' shadows - the HDR itself determines this.
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
            You'll get shadows from an HDR anyways. Usually people use a fill light in conjunction with HDR to obtain more control over direction and sharpness.

Advantage of mappable Domelight is better sampling, faster speed, and a few more controls such as light sudivisions. But to the best of my knowledge, it doesnt 'create' shadows - the HDR itself determines this.
            Thanks for the info. I will have to ask Vlado about getting my hands on a beta copy of version 1.5. I have seen vlad's video I am really interested in using this feature. I have some parametric CIE and Perez HDRI skies that I have created. I have control over the sky/sun intensity, azimuth, color, etc. via time/date/location sun/sky color input parameters. Plus, I can make my HDRI skies as large as I need (I have one that's 12000 x 12000). So hopefully I'll get to kick the tires on this feature this weekend.

Thanks

Marcus

Comment

Perez???

Comment

Originally posted by marcdevon
                I have some parametric CIE and Perez HDRI skies that I have created. I have control over the sky/sun intensity, azimuth, color, etc. via time/date/location sun/sky color input parameters.
                How did you do your Perez skies? Radiance?

-oconv

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
                  Perez???
                  http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...gz+Perez+skies
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

Originally posted by oconv
                    Originally posted by marcdevon
                    I have some parametric CIE and Perez HDRI skies that I have created. I have control over the sky/sun intensity, azimuth, color, etc. via time/date/location sun/sky color input parameters.
                    How did you do your Perez skies? Radiance?

-oconv
                    Yes, using the gendaylit program.

Comment

Thanks Rerender. I did their math and I have to concur with their results.

Well. no not really as my math sucks but will have to read up later.

Comment

Working...
                      X