Cause for an increase in Pre Pass's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause for an increase in Pre Pass's?

I'm trying to figure out what I may have done to suddenly cause an increase in sampling prepass's. When I started off using IR/QMC at low preset, it only took 2 prepass's to get results and at medium it would take 3 and at high it would take 4. Now, even at the low preset, I'm still getting 4 prepass's before rendering. So obviously, this must mean that the amount of prepass's isn't necessarily related to the IR quality presets right?

So my question is (and it may be too general), what kinds of things could contribute to the increase of render prepass's?

Thanks - Dave

You must have turned on "use interpolation" for reflection or refraction in one of the vray mats
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

what kinds of things could contribute to the increase of render prepass's?
      Using materials with interpolated glossy reflections or refractions would cause this.

Dan
      Dan Brew

Comment

Damn, beat me...
        Dan Brew

Comment

Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

Wow thanks for the quick reply - Yes I remember doing that in a few places. The sad thing is, I'm not really sure what it does. I was actually trying to speed up the material preformance - for some reason I thought interpolated materials borrowed samples from neighboring samples and kind of accepted a blended result between them - less accurate but perhaps a tad faster? I think I'm all washed up - Could someone clarify for me?

Thanks - Dave

Comment

Interpolation does similar to what the irradiance map does, it caches the information. Don't use for animation, causes flickering, it can speed up your renders for stills though.

Comment

it has it's own min/max if they match your imap then there won't be any extra passes
                Eric Boer
                Dev

Comment

Thanks again for the quick responses. Got her back down to 2 passes again.

Hey Eric, when is focus360 going to redo their website? It's been the same for the past 8 years or so hasn't it? How's Peggy doin?

Comment

It's only been the same for six years :P
                    It's in commitee maybe next year...

Peggy's great
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

Working...
                    X