Prepass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepass

What is the prepass that vray does before rendering an image that has a pre-calculated LC and IRR map? I do not remember it always doing this prepass. Is this an option? Should I have it on or off for an animation?

its when you have a material with interpolated glossies turned on

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

The setting within each material under the reflect glossiness? Is it faster with this on or off?

Comment

when it was first introduced a while back i used to use it alot. now i dont use it at all. other people probably still use it im guessing

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

OK...I turned it off. Now the IRR map goes fairly quickly, but the actual rendering is taking much longer! Getting very nervous about a Friday morning deadline! Have already had so many problems with this animation....already extended the deadline 10 days!!! I have already done 2400 frames of the animation......now I have the last 480 to do!

Comment

Using glossy reflections in animations are always going to be time consuming at render. I make a point to only use them when it's a highly visible surface and makes a big impact on the material, otherwise I'll leave it as a faint straight reflection.

If you're just using glossies to get a highlight, you can uncheck "Trace reflections" in the Options of your material. This is nice for mullions and such, small objects that should have highlights though you'll never see a reflection on such a small surface.

Unfortunately changing materials 3/4 of the way through rendering an animation is very risky. You've got to be sure that it's not going to make a noticable difference. Best of luck!

Shaun
            ShaunDon

Comment

Luckily it is a different area of the animation....so I can play around with the material settings...I changed all my glossy reflections that were around ,75 to ,90...should make a difference, no? For the mullions I did as you suggested...turned off trace reflections. Hope all goes well....have to launch this IRR calculation!

Comment

After calculating the IRR map, could I further change reflections....less glossy or not glossy at all.....or would that mess up the rendering?

Comment

I definitely notice a speed performance with interpolated glossies in stills, but be careful with interpolated glossies in animations. According to the vray manual: "Note that it is not recommended to use interpolation for animations, since this may cause severe flickering."

In fact for architectural animations I usually turn off all reflections that were glossies in the stills, since primarily I am using them to get specular highlights on building surfaces for more realistic environment color rather than for realistic materials. It saves a lot of time, and rarely is an architectural client going to be intently examining animation quality. Except brushed metal materials... I will leave them on for those. But not interpolated.
                  "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Learning alot with my first vray animation!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X