No announcement yet.

Maxwell and Vray / huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with deflix on all points - but I am going to keep an eye on Maxwell because once (if) they get the software working properly it will be wonderful to use. Currently they have conned everybody into paying them to be Beta testers! Great trick! However, to their credit (small credit), they did hand out a free license to users that bought the software early on (so I can now render to 8 cpu's having paid $550 CAD). This is great because it now means that I can render a teapot in 12 hours instead of 24 hours
    Win10.Ryzen1950X. 80GbRam. RTX3080.RTX2070.Sketchup 22.0.354.VRaySketchUp.6001. - NvidiaStudioDriver 527.37

Comment

when you say "working properly" you mean spead up everything and loose the noise?

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Well, I guess a lot of people would object to that because no doubt they have found a way to introduce Maxwell into their pipeline.
        My 'newbie' problems are:-
        -exporting from 3dsMax to mxcl causes runtime crash error.
        -opening material editor that has maxwell materials in it causes max to crash.
        -Maxwell Studio cannot handle selection of large sets of objects (scene with 7528 objects crashes Maxwell if you try to select them all at once)
        -using shaded view in Studio slows down Maxwell even further to the point that selecting even a single object becomes slow. Also, all menus become super slow to appear. Very sticky.
        -3ds Max crashes when you try to do a maxwell render. This can be caused by missing bitmaps, geometry it doesnt like or maybe missing uvw maps?
        - Maxwell will not save mxm file from within max (again this may be because it doesnt like the geometry or uvw maps are missing)
        -launch render after saving mxs does not work (same thing as above).
        These are my problems, and there may be various solutions - but the 3dsMax maxwell plugin is not working well & requires a lot of general buggeration around to get it working ( i am not at that stage yet - i havent got it to work too well).
        Maxwell have leapt 2 years into the future with their software & simultaneously gone 10 years backwards by introducing stoopid limitations and not ironing out the bugs.

Also, some of the much advertised benefits, like MultiLights, will not work at all unless you are doing ultra low resolution work.
        Win10.Ryzen1950X. 80GbRam. RTX3080.RTX2070.Sketchup 22.0.354.VRaySketchUp.6001. - NvidiaStudioDriver 527.37

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
          when you say "working properly" you mean spead up everything and loose the noise?
          LOL
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi
            Originally posted by Da_elf
            LOL
            lol nice Elf
            Cheers,
            -dave
            ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

wise words from vlado. I am interested to know what is happening to the much anticipated brazil 2.0? I mean they cant just abandon it?
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

why not.. I reckon most of the userbase has

Comment

The follow up on what Mobid said a few posts back.. Vray can look like nearly everything. It is a lot of power on the the hood and SO many ways ot do something. There are literally dozens of ways of doing GI, and the same is true with the AA (not talking about filtering methods).

Saying that Brazil has a better "look" than Vray makes no sense. The user can get the Brazil "look" with Vray. Just a matter of doing it that way. Using the QMC AA, more brute force GI, etc... There is your Brazil look. Same with Maxwell: Using PPT, using the Fixed AA, Sun and Sky... done... there is your Maxwell look. But if you use the Adaptive AA (-1,2) the Irradiance map and Light cache... guess what... it will look like the Vray render. Will have that smooth (maybe overly smooth) finish with soft (maybe too low in contrast) GI. Nothing wrong with that. I like Adpative for smooth wall surfaces, very diffuse lighting, etc... Vray can give you a smooth artifact free look. Bascially my point is that the Vray look is the user's setting... not Vray.

Comment

another wise words
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

there is a lot of wise words here
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

wisdom spreading like butter on a toast, yummy!!!

Lele

Comment

Throb wrote
                          i saw scott kirvan watching vlado intently while he demo'd vray
                          from a corner of the vizmasters booth. was pretty funny.
                          hehe I would have been tempted to grab the mic and say, "Scott? Scott Kirwan? is that you? it is you, hey come on down, we have a seat here in the front row for you, give him a big hand everybody"

Brazil was the first renderer I bought (or the company where i previously worked) it was such a big thing about 3-4yrs ago now their forum is very quiet, people are still trying to do interiors with it,(banging my head off the desk), havent heard anything new about it in yrs, either its parked or brazil 2.0 will be a massive jump (which I doubt) my only regret with Chaos is that I didn't jump on the VRay bandwagon back then.
                          For my line of work I serioulsy dont know what I would do without Vray,
                          Support here is fantastic as are the developers.
                          Tom
                          Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

well it looks like Brazil is not dead after all on the same site ( http://www.3dinsider.com/ ) that has vlado's feature video also has one coming for Brazil2

"Scott Kirvan of Splutterfish describes and discusses upcoming features and enhancements to Brazil 2."

-dave
                            Cheers,
                            -dave
                            ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

yep just saw that, keep in mind though that this topic was posted on their forum in way back in may 05 and not a word from them since regarding R2. They even locked the topic, a completely different way of doing things than in this forum.

Tom
                              Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

Originally posted by tom182
                                yep just saw that, keep in mind though that this topic was posted on their forum in way back in may 05 and not a word from them since regarding R2. They even locked the topic, a completely different way of doing things than in this forum.

Tom
                                lol yea thats a little odd
                                Cheers,
                                -dave

Comment

Working...
                                X