Maxwell and Vray / huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi -

I haven't posted much in these forums, mostly as a result of a lack of time. But I do visit when I can and enjoy most of the discussions. I couldn't help but notice this thread and the mention of Brazil, as I have been a Brazil user for several years now. I'm kind of surprised at the negative attitude towards Brazil. I can certainly understand how the arch viz crowd feels it compares with VRay and I mostly agree; I switched the majority of our projects to VRay a while ago in order to overcome some very specific shortcomings of Brazil as it relates to arch viz. However, I like to think that Brazil is still a highly professional and usable product that deserves a bit of respect (it's made by real people, after all!). Just as VRay 1.5 was released long after it was expected, Brazil 2 is in the same boat. I also think that Brazil 2 will be a massive jump from its current state and may start to look like a very appealing package to some arch viz customers.

Anyway, I understand if people are just having some good jabs and I'm not trying to start any kind of "better renderer" war. I just thought I would stick up for a software package that I made a living from for quite a while (as I now do with VRay) and that I see as a strong contender in its coming release.

Cheers!
    Nicholas Moshenko
    DesignStor

Comment

no worries dude. No wars on this forum. I guess what people are saying is that brazil (current version) is very outdated. And yes it has been a great tool. Many great works are achived by it. But usually its the other way around. People compare vray to brazil, and saying that brazil has higher quality. Well most certainly it has high quality, but as chris mentioned, with skill and knowledge you can make any render look good.
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Well - we are fanboys/fangirls here that really like 'our' tools and don't mean to really offend. I can't speak for the other renderers as I personally haven't used them other than toying with Mental Ray long long ago. I put my faith in Nichols, Throb, and Morbid's opinions here as they've had some very wide-ranging experiences with various renderers in production.

Competition is healthy - but the users enthusiasm here helps us all progress. Sorry if it comes off as snobbish at times.
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

yeah, and, if you are looking for some real ranting and war...visit maxwell forum
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:

Comment

Originally posted by moshenko
            Hi -

I haven't posted much in these forums, mostly as a result of a lack of time. But I do visit when I can and enjoy most of the discussions. I couldn't help but notice this thread and the mention of Brazil, as I have been a Brazil user for several years now. I'm kind of surprised at the negative attitude towards Brazil. I can certainly understand how the arch viz crowd feels it compares with VRay and I mostly agree; I switched the majority of our projects to VRay a while ago in order to overcome some very specific shortcomings of Brazil as it relates to arch viz. However, I like to think that Brazil is still a highly professional and usable product that deserves a bit of respect (it's made by real people, after all!). Just as VRay 1.5 was released long after it was expected, Brazil 2 is in the same boat. I also think that Brazil 2 will be a massive jump from its current state and may start to look like a very appealing package to some arch viz customers.

Anyway, I understand if people are just having some good jabs and I'm not trying to start any kind of "better renderer" war. I just thought I would stick up for a software package that I made a living from for quite a while (as I now do with VRay) and that I see as a strong contender in its coming release.

Cheers!
            Actually, no disrespect, but I think your overstating it a bit. I think people here really respect brazil, I know I do, its Maxwell we like to really poke fun at. Any fun at brazil's expense, I feel is pretty friendly. When brazil 2.0 is released, Ill be looking at it very closely, and if it appears superior to vray at that point, then I might look at trying it professionally with some projects.

Yes we love our vray, but I dont think anybody here has blind loyalty to ANY piece of software.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by leotchest
              However, to their credit (small credit), they did hand out a free license to users that bought the software early on (so I can now render to 8 cpu's having paid $550 CAD). This is great because it now means that I can render a teapot in 12 hours instead of 24 hours
              I just don't get this. They never said that this was a permanant lic. Did they? It seems to be that this is a limited rental I mean at the next release will eveyone get to keep that "free" license and have it updated?

It kind of seems to me that a maxwell user buys a $500 early bird deal. They get to borrow this license that may expire when it comes to upgrade so now you have to upgrade 2 licenses (or face a 50% speed decrease).

Comment

dont you mean buy two lisences AND face a 50% speed decreese ? seems the speed went out the window once they had to pay for the RC versions.

as for the not understanding the whole beta liscence thing forgive them. they are vray people who are used to the free updates. paying for updates confused them

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                  Actually, no disrespect, but I think your overstating it a bit. I think people here really respect brazil, I know I do, its Maxwell we like to really poke fun at. Any fun at brazil's expense, I feel is pretty friendly. When brazil 2.0 is released, Ill be looking at it very closely, and if it appears superior to vray at that point, then I might look at trying it professionally with some projects.

Yes we love our vray, but I dont think anybody here has blind loyalty to ANY piece of software.
                  None taken, and I certainly appreciate the desire to poke fun. As I said, I made a living for quite a while using Brazil and I just felt the need to speak up in its defense! Plus, I know a bit about the upcoming version and it is indeed a contender.

Maxwell, on the other hand...
                  Nicholas Moshenko
                  DesignStor

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                    I think people here really respect brazil, I know I do, its Maxwell we like to really poke fun at.
                    it may be just me, but I can't see why the same kind of respect shouldn't go to maxwell as well.

Comment

hmm, there does seem to be an attitude of them and us (Maxwellians and VRay'ers) and it goes both ways. I don't think the same holds through for the Fishes and Vray'ers, I think it alot of it stems from their respective forums.
                      Regarding Brazil, I just gasped as to how little new info is out there over the past 2 years, for such a strong product its marketing will have to make inroads on other renderers all over again. I am looking forward to seeing V2 and what features from vray will be used, Ir maps etc. Brazils Mats are excellent and something I srtuggfled with when I initally swapped over to Vray, but 1.5 has solved lots of that .

Regarding Maxwell all I seem to be getting on feedback is great quality if you are prepared to wait the time (and boy do they mean time)- havent we all noticed how time does indeed go faster when there is a crazy deadline???
                      Rememeber competition is good, we all bebefit.
                      Tom
                      Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

Originally posted by rivoli
                        it may be just me, but I can't see why the same kind of respect shouldn't go to maxwell as well.
                        What respect are we giving here? Quality isnt really an issue for a lot of clients - speed, however, is.

Brazil may be slow, but its not as bad as maxwell.

Comment

Originally posted by cubiclegangster
                          What respect are we giving here?
                          I don't know, that's what I was wondering. as long as speed is concerned I perfectly see what you mean, but having used maxwell for some time now, i can tell you that in some cases it can be surprisingly faster than one could expect.

Comment

ok we must stop here. No more of that maxwell vray brazil talk. Remember, its not the tool its the artist who uses it...
                            end.
                            Dmitry Vinnik
                            Silhouette Images Inc.
                            ShowReel:

Comment

yep, agree.

Comment

i parcially agree...
                                Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                                nuno@ene-digital.com
                                00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
                                X