• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass and environment

I am trying to get my background to show through my glass. Right now I
    can see the environment, but it is really dim. I have unchecked affect
    background. Glass is vray mat with falloff. It reminds me of what the
    background looks like when affect background is checked.

Any tips would be great.

Regards,
    Mike
    http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

can you post an example?
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Depending on the building, but sometimes hi commercial buildings does have very reflective glass, wich renders better without falloff.

If you do a search on the forum, you'll probable find a lot of different recipies, all better one than the others:

"Architectural" and "glass" in your search
      Alain Blanchette
      www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Well once you put something like glass in front of your background, it is no longer counted as your background. It then falls under the category of refraction. Thats why it is showing up dim, because it is and has to be affected by the color mapping. I think it's usually best to composite in the background in post instead of trying to get it to look just right in the render.

Or, if you need that background in there, you could try mapping it to an object (sphere, plane, whatever) and make the map 100% self illuminated. Then exclude it from lights, invisible to gi, no shadows, etc. That should give you decent results.

Screen mapping a background is never a good idea for so a lot of reasons. I hate it, but it's true!
        Tim Nelson
        timnelson3d.com

Comment

Working...
        X