Comping Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comping Reflections

So, I have this scene that has a very large panoramic image as the background. The image is so large that I can't render the scene with it visible as the image takes up too much memory. So I decided to composite it in. Well, I can't figure out what settings/blending modes to use.

I'm rendering an animation and am using after effects to comp. Since the frames take forever to render, I've done a quick mock-up to test settings. Here's what I'm trying to do:

This is my reference image. The box represents the background of my actual scene. I rendered the scene with the background hidden (the box). Then I rendered the box with everything else set to matte. Refer to the following images for what's not working:

I've went through all the AE blending modes but cannot get the reflection to look like the reference image. Any ideas? If someone needs these sample files, I can provide. Let me know.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

The blend mode should just be normal. But to get it to work correctly you need to have an alpha channel of the reflection. I haven't done any reflection passes out of Vray lately so I'm not sure if it saves an alpha with the reflection...But in the past I've rendered an additional pass with everything I want to reflect having a 100% white material and making it invisible to camera. This gave me a mask that I could use like an alpha channel.

Tim J
    www.seraph3d.com
    Senior Generalist
    Industrial Light & Magic

Environment Creation Tutorial
    Environment Lighting Tutorial

Comment

use vray frame buffer.
      add reflection channel to the g-buffer.
      save out seperate reflection channel images.
      www.studio2a.co

Comment

Working...
      X