Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first post - QMC vs. LC

hello everyone. i'd like to introduce myself to the group here:
    my name's Mark, been doing archviz for, whoa - getting on towards 10 years, and i'm a new convert to vray.

i've been lurking around here for a while, and i've gotta say thanks for all the tips that have already been helping my learning. and amazing work by all. some of the best i've seen posted here.

so i've got my first official question: QMC vs. LC for secondary bounces. i've read many posts saying that LC is a faster solution, but by my experience, i've always found QMC to be faster. most of my scenes use very few glossy reflections, so i'm wondering if LC is only faster when you need to calculate interpolation on lots of reflections.

anyways, i'd like to hear some pros and cons about each.

thanks! hope i will have a chance to contribute my share around here!

welcome dynaman, first you should check out the on-line help http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/

There is some good documentation on secondary bounce methods there.

Generally LC will distribute more light as it calculates an infinite ammount of rays, QMC is limited to the ammount of bounces you specify. Lowering the ammount of samples in LC can produce much faster and better quality renders.

Post up some of your work, it would be great to see what you are up to
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

thanks for the reply, jacksc02.

i have done quite a bit of reading through the online docs, but it is always good to go back over them again. definitely find that i learn something new everytime i read through.

when you say "lowering the amount of samples", do you mean the interpolation samples under the filter? guess i will have to do some more direct comparison tests...

here are a few things i've been working on in vray...most are just older projects that i had completed using scanline and now i'm going back to try re-lighting them.

some older scanline work can be found on my website:

http://www.dynamedia.ca/portfolio_arch.asp

these are re-lights of a condo job i did last year (i hadn't figured out how to reduce noise):

these are renders of a house i designed and built a few years ago. i'm trying to light it entirely using one sunlight and an hdri skylight. having trouble getting smooth shading on some of the inside surfaces...

and here's a new project i'm currently working on. i'd love to know how to get a little more light into the dark closet areas...

Comment

any chance you could re-size the images?
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

done - sorry bout that. i was just being lazy!

Comment

the images look good
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Turn up the receive and generate GI in the vray properties of the insides of the closet walls (detatch). Or put an output map in the color slot of the newly detatched object...
              www.studio2a.co

Comment

sweet - thanks for the suggestions! i will definitely give that a try.

Comment

Working...
                X