Exposing VRaySky properly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vlado
    In fact, the physical sky in RC3 is about twice as dark as it should be (the sun is ok though). This is corrected in newer builds, where very special care has been taken to ensure that the sun/sky/camera/lights behave correctly (well, at least as correctly as possible).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    ah, thanks Vlado,
    I can take that in to account, I just have to make my own rule then
    Will the orange coloration at the horizon be toned down in future versions? I've got the feeling that it becomes to dominant in the scenes as it gets closer to sundown and daybreak.
    Another question, will the vray sun be made in to a sunlight system in a future version of vray? right now I'm linking to a MAX sunlight system, but the result deviates from real world situations.

Comment

In newer builds, you can select the VRaySun as a sun type from the Daylight system drop-down menu. This can automatically add a vraysky too.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

In newer builds, you can select the VRaySun as a sun type from the Daylight system drop-down menu. This can automatically add a vraysky too.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        great
        But I'll keep my stable RC3 running for now

Comment

As for the sky, it has been tuned a bit in newer RCs.
          I particularly love its (new) colours, but i'm not sure (this is definitely Vlado's call) it'll stay just like it is now.

Lele

Comment

I can imagine that the evening sky (or morning) would look different for the UK or for a country near the equator just because of the way the light travels through the atmosphere, that's why it would be great when the vraysun/sky are a real sunlight system and based on real world conditions.

Comment

That's the turbidity control you want to touch.
              The sunlight system only decides the position of the sun over the horizon, it cannot know how much humidity, ozone or pollution there is in that location.

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by Fear-factoR
                Originally posted by base2studios
                Perhaps this will work for you....I was researching basic photography and came across a "Sunny 16" rule. Simply put, on an outdoor scene with a clear sunny sky, set your f-stop to 16. Then you shutter speed should be the inverse of your film ISO. It's worked well for my tests, but see how that works for you.

ME
                sorry for bumping this thread but this is the only discussion talking about the sunny f/16 rule.
                http://www.photomigrations.com/articles/0403200.htm
                I've been playing around with the physical camera/sun/sky but when I apply the sunny f/16 rule I get very dark results.
                At f/16, shut. Sp. 1/800, ISO 200 the result is underexposed, cranking up the gamma to 2.2 in color mapping and setting shut. Sp. to 1/100 gives reasonable results...
                How did you get good results?
                What am I doing wrong, or is the physical sky as physical correct as it should be?
                the problem is that if you input the values as you say you have, you've inversed the shutter speed - because that 1/x has already been done for you. So....essentially, you set the f-stop to 16, then make both the ISO and SS values match.

see what that does for you
                ME
                Talk nerdy to me...
                ------------------------
                Matt English
                base2studios
                VizDepot.com moderator

Comment

In fact, the physical sky in RC3 is about twice as dark as it should be (the sun is ok though). This is corrected in newer builds, where very special care has been taken to ensure that the sun/sky/camera/lights behave correctly (well, at least as correctly as possible).
                  Would I be correct in thinking that for people still using RC3, could you put the Sky mat in to an output and change some figures to mke the sky x2 the power?

Cheers

Comment

Would I be correct in thinking that for people still using RC3, could you put the Sky mat in to an output and change some figures to mke the sky x2 the power?
                    i usually set the vraysky to manual, and lower the vraysun multiplier to about half (or whatever you like).
                    Harry G

Comment

sounds good, is it the sun multiplier on the sun or in the sky mat you half?

Comment

Does it also mean that the sky used as GI environement override has to be multiplied by 2 ?

Does this issue aplly to RC2 also ? (yup, still using RC2 )
                        Philippe Steels
                        Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

sounds good, is it the sun multiplier on the sun or in the sky mat you half?
                          the sun multiplier on the vraysun

or you can keep the vraysun multiplier at 1, and raise the sun intensity multiplier at vraysky, whichever suits you.
                          Harry G

Comment

Originally posted by Fear-factoR
                            Will the orange coloration at the horizon be toned down in future versions? I've got the feeling that it becomes to dominant in the scenes as it gets closer to sundown and daybreak.
                            I recently discovered how to manipulate the color of the sunlight and sky by playing with the color of the white balance in the physical camera settings. Through a little experimentation, you can get the ambient tint and sky color exactly where you want it.

Comment

Working...
                            X