• 1.5 lightcache, new options

could someone please explain the new options in the lightcache:
    "adative tracing"
    "use directions only"
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

The "Adaptive" option tries to keep track of where most of the light in the scene is coming from and puts more samples in that direction.

It may take more memory, but some effects (like GI caustics) may clear up faster.

When the "Use directions only" option is on, only the directional information from the light cache is taken into consideration, and not the light cache sample values as such. This makes the calculation unbiased, but potentially less noisy than using a sample size of 0.0

All in all, the adaptive tracing is a bit of an experiment for now. In this initial version the adaptation is performed on diffuse surfaces only - but we are also working on using adaptation for glossy surfaces as well.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

Thanks for your explanation. If I understand it right, turning both options on yields a better result? And I assume that the more detailed sampling of "Use directions only" calls for more LC samples and a higher filter value?
      Sevensheaven.nl — design | illustration | visualization | cartoons | animation

Comment

so will "use directions only" also generate caustics automaticly?
        Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
        www.shack.de

Comment

Working...
        X