Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the precision here?

Hello,

I feel stupid for asking , but here goes...

In 3dMax 8, I have a group of boxes and polys which make up a single column. Problem is that it's currently at an odd rotation (about Z axis), and I want to make it at 90 degrees again. I've made an orthagonal "dummy" box and tried the align tool but it only seems to affect the object's location, not the rotation. Can I just have it align to the home grid?

Frustrating because in AutoCAD this is so simple, there must be a way to get this done without eyeballing it?! Any help is really appreciated. I'm getting frustrated and embarrassed, but I don't want to start all over again.

Thanks for any help,
    JR

please dont post non vray related questions anywhere but in the off-topic forum.

When I have an object I need to realign to world coords, I just hit the 'world' option in the reference coordinate system drop down, right click the 'select and rotate' button and I can set it straight again.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

oops

Thanks for the tip Percydaman, and sorry about the wrong posting location!

Comment

in the align tool you have to check the rotation boxes for the axis you want to align to. by default only position is checked.

Thorsten

Comment

hmmm tried all this, no luck, but it's close enough for now...I can post the scene later if anyone wants to see if I'm crazy

Thanks
          Sorry again for posting this here.

Comment

You want to use normal align. It will square it up to the desired geometry and then you just need to move it to the correct location.

Alternately you can use Autogrid to create a grid on the angled geometry. Then just model on the new grid.
            "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Thank you Clifton,

I will try that normal align next.
              Best regards

Comment

make sure your pivots are properly centered in the objects, some imports move the geometry, but leave the pivot at the origin, leading to issues with rotations and alignments...

Lele

Comment

Working...
                X