estimate Light Cache for larger render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• estimate Light Cache for larger render

A coworker wanted to know how much light cache they should use on a larger render. They got it looking good on a smaller render, 720x480, but want to render large. I know this changes depending on scene, but i was guessing that if you had about the same number of light cache samples per area of pixels then you should have similar results?

I gave her this formula to use, but don't know quite if it works. Can someone shed some light on the situation? I've done renders low then high and seemed to come out with similar numbers, so this might work.

Let me know of problems or if it actually does work.

(newLength x newHeight)/((oldLength x oldHeight)/oldLightCache)=New Light Cache

If you do 720x480 at 600 light cache samples it comes out to be ~1350 at 3200x2400

That seemed about right to me. When a scene looked good for me at 600 it usually looks good between 1000 and 1500 when I blow it up to that size.

Let me know if I'm anywhere near right.

Wow, I messed up the math there. I'm dislexic.

Anyway, just wondering if there was a way to kinda calculate it to make it easy on the people that just like instructions to do things.

Comment

Working...
    X