Outputting to an HD Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outputting to an HD Monitor

I have a client that is wanting to output an animation to a 42" HD monitor - What is the best animation image size for this? - and is it possible to be burned to a DVD?

Thanks
    Mike
    Michael S. Munson
    Conceptual Design Studio

Regular widescreen dvd is your only option at this stage unless you get some kind of HD player or take an output from a pc into the monitor.

Comment

So do I render at 720x480? This is so confusing - searched other threads and even more confused - I will be editing in premiere 2 - Any help would be appreciated -
      Thanks
      Mike
      Michael S. Munson
      Conceptual Design Studio

Comment

well you probably want to render anamorphic so that it will show properly widescreen. There are others here that know ALOT more about that then me. A coworker of mine is rendering out an animation to HD, and it will just be used in a sale center viewed most likely in quicktime output from a small computer purchased just for that purpose.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

This is a dumb question but where is this setting for 720x480 Anamorphic? Thanks
          Mike
          Michael S. Munson
          Conceptual Design Studio

Comment

This mite help you a little also, special tkx to DaForce

http://www.apex.net.au/~daforce/vray..._Standards.PNG

-dave
            Cheers,
            -dave
            ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Okay so if I render square pixels at 720x480 in Max - Do I do the anamorphic thing in post?
              Thanks
              Mike
              Michael S. Munson
              Conceptual Design Studio

Comment

Im lost on a chart like that althought it looks very useful to someone who understands those terms. My knowledge of video is very limited in video. What is a safe resolution average for DVD. What can we render to and scale up?

There's so much information on the Internet that it becomes overwhelming where to look. Perhaps someone could simplify standards for us. Thanks!
                LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I just need someone to explain the process of doing an HD video - I have an animation that was rendered out at 720x480 sqare pixels and I need to either rerender it out for HD or convert it in post - Just not sure which is the best method for doing it - I am so confused!!!

Mike
                  Michael S. Munson
                  Conceptual Design Studio

Comment

Video settings 101

I'll help you out. Very simply….

Theory

HD monitors usually output pixel resolutions higher then 720x480 9 The aspect ratio for HDTV is a widescreen 16:9. This translates into a screen resolution of 1,920 pixels x 1,080). Computers can send a signal to HD monitors at higher pixels resolutions where the HD monitors acts just like a computer monitor. In this case your animation resolution is limited by the computers ability to play back the movie smoothly (based on Codec used and bit transfer rate)

However if your HD monitor is plugged into a DVD player, it is limited by the Maximum resolution of the DVD player, which is 720x480 for standard DVD players whether it is widescreen(16:9) or standard format (4:3).

HD DVD players are still considered emerging technology and are not widely used yet.

Only when we plug an HD Video Camera into an HD Monitor and play back footage shot with it will we see HD format Footage.

Keep in mind that no matter what the resolution of the footage it will all need to
                    be compressed by a codec to shrink the transfer rate down enough for the footage to playback smoothly whether it is played back on a computer, HD DVD player, Standard DVD player or HD Video Camera.

OK if your still awake here are the 3DS Max Settings

Standard Format 720x480 (4:3) pixel aspect Ratio

Set your “output size” to custom
                    Set your width to 720 and height to 480
                    Set your Pixel Aspect to “0.9” which will force your image aspect to 1.35
                    Lock Both

Widescreen Format 720x480 (16:9) pixel aspect Ratio

Set your “output size” to custom
                    Set your width to 720 and height to 480
                    Set your Pixel Aspect to “1.2” which will force your image aspect to 1.8
                    Lock Both

You’ll see the difference in your view port when you change the settings if you turn the show safe frame option to on

Technically we’re just not ready to render, edit and author DVD’s in HD format yet.
                    So for now use the Widescreen settings above , edit and author your DVD’s to 720x480 widescreen and playback with a standard DVD player output to an HD Monitor.
                    www.jamesatilano.com

Comment

This is the answer I was looking for - Thank you for clearing this grey area up - Awesome!

Mike
                      Michael S. Munson
                      Conceptual Design Studio

Comment

Wow man. Thank you very much. Finally, this makes a lot of sense.

However, I always thought DVD was higher than 720x480 - but I guess that is because I watch DVDs through a normal televsion.

Do you think it is wise to generally shoot for widescreen format for a client? I never asking my clients beforehand - always assumed they didn't have much of a choice (or if one was presented, it would confuse them too much.)

Comment

Originally posted by conceptdesign
                          This is the answer I was looking for - Thank you for clearing this grey area up - Awesome!

Mike
                          lol thats basically what I told you per private message. I just told you a more exact pixel aspect, as opposed to the 1.2

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Percy - Yes - Thanks for your help - This was just a little more indepth as to why it needs to be set - Thanks for the answers guys - All of you

Mike
                            Michael S. Munson
                            Conceptual Design Studio

Comment

Hey Percy - could you elaborate on the sepecific pixel aspect ratio?

Comment

Working...
                              X