No announcement yet.

50+ ies lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...t=light+lister for the Ligt Lister that workswith Vray lights. Works great (kudos)!
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

the occlusion problem might be fixed if you reduce the bias in the shadow parameters.
      Patrick Macdonald
      Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

Patrick,
        The occlusion is not a shadow occlusion. It is the light being blocked. It's a case of Vray's inability to read IES files where Mental ray has no problem with the IES files. Because of that i have abandoned Vray for any interior scenes and am concentrating on Mental Ray.
        mh

Comment

I wouldn't be abandoning vray just yet. I actually took another hard look at this new version of mental ray in MAX 9.....funny how they totally ripped off all the VRay UI ideas (which i'm happy about) it still doesn;t even come close in speed. I will say that i wish there was an arch + design like material in vray with all the presets....its very easy to use. I would take a look around at some of the interior work by some of these guys to judge whether or not you should be dumping vray for mental ray.....especially for the sole reason IES files may not be rendering properly. Its your perogative but i wold suggest more paractice and patience. The guys around here will help fget it figured out!!
          -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

Dwayne,
            Dumping vray for interiors doesn't mean dumping vray for everything. I am "wowed" by how fast vray renders proxy 3d trees and love the vray displacement for ground covers. I just finished up an exterior animation that vray sailed thru.
            I've seen the interiors on the vray forum and have been very unimpresssed with the times people log in for a vray interior. A lot of the times are just hobby stuff, not what one could use commercially unless you have a large render farm to tap into.
            The quality of vray and mental ray are the same from what i have seen on various forums and the speed they render is dependent on the individuals familiarity with the specific renderer.
            My observations are that whatever Vray can produce for interiors mental ray can also and vice versa. Mental ray people look at the speeds that vray people talk about and say they can get better speeds. vray people make the same claim.

All i know is Mental ray does NOT work with "Forest" which i use on my exteriors so i use vray for exteriors.

Vray has problems with IES lights, Mental ray doesn't so I'll choose mental ray for the times when i do an interior that needs GI.

And scanline has things that neither of those two have so i use scanline for other instances.
            mh

Comment

sounds like a plan. flexibility is king.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
              X