proxy Objects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proxy Objects.

How do i get the proxy objects into one file with materials? I have read the help file but cant seem to get the proxy objects to render with the textures i applied? They keep coming in with the object color. What am i doing wrong.
    Thanks guys

I don't think there's a way to save the material with the proxy mesh. To get around this I usually create a .max file with the material applied to the mesh and just merge it into the scene. This has worked great for me for trees as I have one max file that has all of the onyx trees I've made and I can just select them when I merge.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

so whats the point haveing proxy objects if you cant have textures on them?

Comment

You can have textures and materials on proxies, just not stored in the same file as the vrmesh. It'll respect uvmapping, mat ID's, etc. After bringing in the proxy object assign a material to it just like normal - ideally, the same material you had on the object before exporting it as a proxy.
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I guess i dont understand. How do i go about re texturing it when it comes in?
          Its either a wireframe or a bounding box. It comes in as one mesh object. It also will not display as shaded.Should i have textured this as a multisub object?

Comment

Yes, I think your options are rather limited after you convert it to a proxy. Best to do it all before you convert it then. Use multi-sub for any complex materials/models with material ID's.

Comment

Create your vrayproxy using the script. Then bring into the mat editor the new multi-subobject mat created for that proxy. save it out into your material library. Now you can bring that proxy into any scene, either using the vray object dialogue or just merge it into your scene. I usually just merge it into the scene.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

So to use proxys all objects must have a multisub material?

Comment

Originally posted by gadzooks
                  So to use proxys all objects must have a multisub material?
                  No, but the material applied to the proxy will be a multisub mat (unless it's only one mat obviously).

Comment

its no different then if you took an object with different materials applied to it. Then attached them all. Max will automatically give each new 'subobject' a unique material id, that matches the subobject material now assigns the one object with multiple materials applied.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                    X