Combustion or After Effects for VRay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combustion or After Effects for VRay

We are about to setup a dedicated post production machine for editing and compositing but which is best for using with VRay ?

Alot of work will be done using a green screen - merging video and CG using HD footage, this will utilise Render Elements from VRay alot more I would expect.

The thread by Chris Nichols mentioned Digital Fusion but its way too expensive for us presently.

Any help, suggestions or experience would be fantastic.

Thanks

N
    www.morphic.tv
    www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Hm. Combustion. Max can export render elements in combustion workspace directly. Maybe will work for VRay. I'm using fusion and exr.
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

Comment

Combustion without a doubt. I was using after effects for years till i discovered combustion and started using it. I never went back. Once u get used to combustion, AE looks like a useless bloated toy.
      The only reason why i could get AE was if i was a premiere-based video editor and would like to share projects between apps.
      I´ve found that the integrated Diamond keyer in combustion is very capable of pulling good results from HD chroma screens, but either way, using AE or combustion, u could always look into third party keyers, just to be sure which one is more suitable for you.
      My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
      Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
      Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

If anything combustion is way heavier on memory than after effects - Combustion is cheaper and may be more direct for effects job but I've found after effects incredibly good over the years supplemented with a few plug ins to make it better still for visual effects work. I do like the discreet colour correctors interface though...

Comment

Nuke is actually the best, but may be out of your price point.

Comment

personally I prefer fusion for straight compositing. But we just picked up the production studio from adobe, and the dynamic linking throughout all their products is quite nice, so am planning on brushing up on after effects. Never really liked combustion.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I like onle node-based composers. Much faster to work with 'em.
              I just can't seem to trust myself
              So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
              ---------------------------------------------------------
              CG Artist

Comment

AE7 also has the timewarp feature with Pixel Motion (maybe in production ver. only-not sure). Works great to retime animations, even to the point of rendering out half the frames normally necessary. You can get the twixtor plugin from reVision for combustion but it'll add another ~$300.

One thing I hate though about AE is the way that it handles (or doesn't handle) image alphas. Maybe I just am doing something wrong but I can't seem to get it to be able to import footage with an alpha (32bit TIF's) and both completely ignore the alpha but still bring in the alpha. I want to be able sometimes to bring in the alpha so I can use it in a "Set Matte" effect to make adjustments, etc to only certain portions of an image. The only way I've been able to work this out is to bring in another footage sequence and set the interpretation on each to what I need.
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi
                  AE7 also has the timewarp feature with Pixel Motion (maybe in production ver. only-not sure). Works great to retime animations, even to the point of rendering out half the frames normally necessary. You can get the twixtor plugin from reVision for combustion but it'll add another ~$300.

One thing I hate though about AE is the way that it handles (or doesn't handle) image alphas. Maybe I just am doing something wrong but I can't seem to get it to be able to import footage with an alpha (32bit TIF's) and both completely ignore the alpha but still bring in the alpha. I want to be able sometimes to bring in the alpha so I can use it in a "Set Matte" effect to make adjustments, etc to only certain portions of an image. The only way I've been able to work this out is to bring in another footage sequence and set the interpretation on each to what I need.
                  I agree with the pixel motion. its great. before using twixtor was overkill. Ive heard alot of complaints with the alpha in AE. Since I still haven't gone over to AE for compositing, I haven't come across it yet, but Ive heard stories

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

dlparisi -- I don't know if this will help... but regarding the alpha issue on AE7. Have you looked at the "interpretation rules.txt" file somewhere in the Adobe program directory. Maybe it will help?

Here's a almost useful Google Link I just found (I think most of the info is AE help or the text file itself)...
                    http://safari.oreilly.com/032119957X/ch02lev1sec20

Comment

Talking about bugs, there's one particularly annoying in combustion which will clamp your 32 bit footage IF you click premultiply alpha, losing lots of valuable info.
                      Besides, combustion rendering is SLOW, but on the other side, it integrates nicely with your backburner renderfarm, so u can render max scenes and combustion projects without any hassle.
                      My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
                      Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
                      Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

Originally posted by davision
                        dlparisi -- I don't know if this will help... but regarding the alpha issue on AE7. Have you looked at the "interpretation rules.txt" file somewhere in the Adobe program directory. Maybe it will help?

Here's a almost useful Google Link I just found (I think most of the info is AE help or the text file itself)...
                        http://safari.oreilly.com/032119957X/ch02lev1sec20
                        Thanks for the pointer but it doesn't really help. It just sets up the rules to interpret footage automatically depending on the type of file (good to know but doesn't solve my problem). The only quick workaround I found is if you go into the project list you can select the footage piece and do Ctrl-D to quickly just duplicate it and then Ctrl-F to changes the interpretation settings. You're still stuck dragging it into a composition again though if you want to use it's alpha.
                        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

For that I normally make an adjustment layer with the effects I want to use, then using the track matte controls, set it to alpha matte with a copy of my footage above - it'll use the alpha of your render above to limit the effects of the adjustment layer. You can do the same with luma too.

Comment

Using the track matte always seemed cumbersome because I had to have the alpha layer just above my adjustment layer. It's just a personal preference but I like to use the "set matte" effect under Channels (more options and I can pick any layer I want). I can shove the layer with the alpha I want to use at the bottom of the stack and just forget about it. Are there any advantages to using the Track Matte that I'm not aware of?

Comment

Using the track matte always seemed cumbersome because I had to have the alpha layer just above my adjustment layer. It's just a personal preference but I like to use the "set matte" effect under Channels (more options and I can pick any layer I want). I can shove the layer with the alpha I want to use at the bottom of the stack and just forget about it. Are there any advantages to using the Track Matte that I'm not aware of?

Comment

Working...
                              X