Blocks in displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocks in displacement

Hi. Finally we have purchased Vray and I can get some help from you guys.

Now, to the problem. I finished a scene a while ago and now my client wants me to render the still for printing A2, thats about 8000*6000px I think. Anyway, I used Zbrush for displacement on two objects, and when I´m rendering at this high res my memory gets eaten. I have 4 gig (though 3gb switch on winxp 32), so, its a problem.

I use 3D displacement now. I tried 2D displacement when I couldn´t find any other solution and then I can render the image without problem, but the displacement gets blocky:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/att...chmentid=42127

Anyone has a solution?

I see nothing in that image that couldn't look just as nice as either a bump map or a normal map.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Right... so I´m supposed to use bump for that area on the object and, because bump and normal aren´t efficient, not use either bump, normal or displacement on the other areas and still have an unsolved problem?

Comment

Re: Blocks in displacement

Originally posted by Numse
        Hi. Finally we have purchased Vray and I can get some help from you guys.

Now, to the problem. I finished a scene a while ago and now my client wants me to render the still for printing A2, thats about 8000*6000px I think. Anyway, I used Zbrush for displacement on two objects, and when I´m rendering at this high res my memory gets eaten. I have 4 gig (though 3gb switch on winxp 32), so, its a problem.

I use 3D displacement now. I tried 2D displacement when I couldn´t find any other solution and then I can render the image without problem, but the displacement gets blocky:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/att...chmentid=42127

Anyone has a solution?
        It's hard to say what may be wrong from the image; if you wish you can send me that part of the scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that I can take a look.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks vlado. The displacement looks the same on the entire object. I believe that the blocks is UV blocks from ZB, but I haven´t had problems with it before. They guys at zbcentral told me that it could be some filtering problems, but i´ve checked it out and didn´t find any problems there. I´ll send you the scene when I come home and if you don´t find any issues I´ll have to ask some more questions at zbcentral.

Comment

Have you tried using the VRayBmpFilter map as you are talking about ZBrush displacing... ?

Just place the map in a VRayBmpFilter map and instance it in the displacement slot.

Best regards,
            nikki Candelero
            .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

No I haven´t tried that yet. Thanks!

Comment

well it looks like you used adaptive uv's or group uv's, if so, it looks like the texture seams are not properly exported on per uv face basis, so what you are getting is auv's borders...
                Dmitry Vinnik
                Silhouette Images Inc.
                ShowReel:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Right... so I´m supposed to use bump for that area on the object and, because bump and normal aren´t efficient, not use either bump, normal or displacement on the other areas and still have an unsolved problem?
                  well....Im just saying your running out of memory, so try something more memory efficient.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Might this thread be related?

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...h+displacement

Comment

@Morbid Angel
                      Yes it looks like that, but why then doesn´t it show when I render with 3D displacement?

@percydaman
                      Yeah, tha is why I´m trying to get 2D disp. working.

@DaForce
                      Thanks, I´ve checked it out.

Comment

I just tried the filter but it didn´t work. In the url posted above ngrava says he uses "smooth" instead of 2D or 3D disp. But there isn´t any "smooth"?

I send you a part of the scene now vlado.

Comment

I just tried the filter but it didn´t work. In the url posted above ngrava says he uses "smooth" instead of 2D or 3D disp. But there isn´t any "smooth"?

I send you a part of the scene now vlado.
                          maybe ngrava meant "subdivision"?
                          Eric Boer
                          Dev

Comment

Yeah he must have, but it´s greyed out.

Anyway, I got some help from vlado this morning, I´ll check if his solution helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X