resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resolution

What is the formula to calulate rendering resolution? I want to render a scene that will be plotted on 8.5 x 11 at 300DPI. 2550 X 3000? Multiply length X DPI and height X DPI. If so that is to high for me... my max closes without warning. Second question would be what is the best dpi for an 8.5 x ll print? Would 150 DPI be fine?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

150 dpi is plenty good enough for printing mate. A most ink jet printers claim higher dpi bu thats becasue theyre adding up all the colours. A single cartridge will only do 150

Max is probably crashing out on you becasue youre running out of ram. Do you have the 3gb switch installed?

Comment

DPI

yep. I have 3Gb of ram and I have the 3Gb switch setup. I purchased RAMBooster.Net last week and I am not running out of RAM. The last time MAX closed witout warning I was at 48% available physical ram. No error, just desktop! I have noticed that my virtual ram is always 100% available, but I guess if I don't run out of ram I have no reason to go to my page file. Any tips?
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Bump your IRmap settngs up, half the resolution, render just that and save it, then load that up and send it to backburner in about 10 strips or so.

Works best with portrait images, tends to get tempremental after you hit 4k wide. Height is no issue however, so if you want to do a REALLY big landscape shot I guess you could rotate the camera 90degrees, haha.
        15k x 3k isnt unheard of when using that.

Comment

Hi Bobby,

32 bit Windows OS can allocate only up to 2Gb of memory (the bundle it makes with physical RAM and Virtual swap file) per application, it usally crashes the app. when it passes some 1,7 or 1,8 GB allocated to a single process (monitoring task manager, that is) even if we have more RAM and plenty of swap in our system

The /3Gb switch extended the 2GB nominal per process up to 3GB, here it was not unusual to crash when passing 2,5 ~ 2,7 GB of memory used.

64 bit Windows OS is capable to allocate a bit more than 3GB (not sure how much ) even to 32 bit applications ( for instance Max8 + VRay ) and far more memory to fully 64 bit applications ( for instance 64 bit max9+VRay).

So it is possible we crash even if task manager says we still have a lot of memory (bundle of RAM + Swap ) available, were that to be the case, it is scene dependant to optimize, using vray proxies for geometry (trees) controling displacements, being careful of huge bitmaps, etc. etc.

Fermí

Comment

Working...
          X