Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dots

Hi,

I know this issue has been posted before, but I've found no solution to what is going on in my scene.

Lots of small dots are rendered in specific locations of the scene, even when indirect illumination is turned off. I asume it's a material problem.

I found out that when hiding glass or water objects those dots disappear.

Some possible workarounds I've tried with no success are:
    - no GI caustics
    - vray environment override off
    - displacement off
    - perspective view render

I'm working with vray sun/vray sky/phisical camera with camera correction.
    Merging the scene into a new file is not an option, cause I have my geometry linked to a DWG file.

Here are a couple of images with the problem showing and the settings I'm working with.

Thanks in advanced,

Guido.
    Guido.

1. Try clicking sub-pixel mapping in the mapping rollout.
    2. check for coplanar faces. (an STL check should show this.... or use edit poly, select a face with the dots, and delete it to check that there aren't two faces coplanar)
    Patrick Macdonald
    Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

Also, make sure the sun is "invisible".

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

iv had this problem in the past, I think it was being caused by colour correct plugin
        mdi-digital.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback,

The problem is still there.

Sub-pixel mapping had no effect, there are no coplanar surfaces, I'm not using any color correct plugin, making the sun invisible didn't work also, but lowering the multiplier from 0.9 to 0.3 or so did help. there still are some dots though.
          Guido.

Comment

Also check Clamp output and see if helps. I had the same problem with my current project.

cheers!
            Peter Brauner
            VFX Artist
            Effektfabriken
            http://www.effektfabriken.se/

Comment

what happens if you switch to area filter?
              Needs more cowbell

Comment

I had this problem, it got fixed by brigning everything into a new scene.. do not know what was the problem, but still.......
                Alain Blanchette
                www.pixistudio.com

Comment

The AA filter doesn't seem to be affecting. Those dots are rendered even with no filter at all an Fixed as image sampler type.

Thablanch: surprisingly merging everything into a new scene doesn't solve the problem.

The only workaround I found is the one and only Photoshop.

Thanks.
                  Guido.

Comment

Re: Dots

Originally posted by Lupaz
                    I'm working with vray sun/vray sky/phisical camera with camera correction.
                    I am not sure which type of camera correction you are using, but from my experience the one that is built into max/viz doesn't play well with VRay.

*EDIT* I believe that if you change your view directly from a camera corrected camera to a perspective, your viewing angle will still be distorted. I would set up a different camera that does not have max/viz camera correction.
                    Ben Steinert
                    pb2ae.com

Comment

Check Sub-Pixel Mapping and/or Clamp Outoput.
                      LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                      HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                      Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Nop, other comera (3dmax camera) same problem.

I've already checked sub-pixel mapping and clamp output.

What I found out is that turning off vraysky from max's environment does help. There are some few dots still remaining though.
                        Guido.

Comment

Hm. Maybe adaptive QMC with tresh. 0.005 + clamp and subpixel + turn off filters and GI caustics ? (I'm sure it's a GI caustics...)
                          I just can't seem to trust myself
                          So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                          ---------------------------------------------------------
                          CG Artist

Comment

maybe a soluition for this is unchecking under system > MAX-compatible shade
                            My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

These dots are visible even with GI turned off, so it seems that it's not GI caustics.

MAX-comp shade didn't solve it.

I've been playing around with no success. I even isolated the object, turned off lights, changed camera, use a new material (standard vray with 0.5 in glossy and full refraction... Only when I untick vraysun from max's environment some difference is made.
                              This dots seems to come from reflections/refractions.

Tnx
                              Guido.

Comment

Working...
                              X