Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem seening the background through an object ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem seening the background through an object ?

I have a problem that I can not see my environment background through a transparent object when I use the "Reflection/refraction environment override" with another map.

What I did was:

- I have a simple scene with some transparent objects

- I placed at photo in the 3ds max Environment map slot and set it to Screen in the Material Editor (so it is background for my render)

- I placed a map in the both Vray "Reflection/refraction environment override" and "Vray GI Environment skylight override", and set it to Spherical.

Now when I render I do get reflection and some light. I can also see other objects through an object.

BUT I can not see the background through any of the objects. I suspect this is because the "Vray Reflection/refraction environment override" slot uses the sperical mapped image also as refraction so what I see is some part of the spherical map .. whereas I wanted to see the Screen-mapped background image.

Can anyone help me solve this issue?
    Lars Bjorstrup
    http://www.xlars.dk
    Vray 1.5 Advanced R3, 3ds max 8 SP3, Win XP2, 2 x Dual Intel Xeon 2.66GHz, 2Gb RAM, 3DLabs Wildcat VP990 Pro 512Mb

you could try instancing the photo in the max env slot into the environment slot in your refractive material.
    That should work.

Comment

Originally posted by DaForce
      you could try instancing the photo in the max env slot into the environment slot in your refractive material.
      That should work.
      THANK YOU .. it works .. Your suggestion made me wonder what the "Refraction environment override" in the Render settings was for, and I tried that instead with an instanced map from the environemt, and that also worked.

I wonder if this last method retains my reflections (from the spherical map) where as using the environment slot in the material make it use it for both reflection and refraction (regardless of what is set in the Render options) ?

Anyway, you just made my day. Thanks again
      Lars Bjorstrup
      http://www.xlars.dk
      Vray 1.5 Advanced R3, 3ds max 8 SP3, Win XP2, 2 x Dual Intel Xeon 2.66GHz, 2Gb RAM, 3DLabs Wildcat VP990 Pro 512Mb

Comment

Ahh yes, totally forgot about the refraction override.. good thinking

Cant say I know for sure. A couple of test renders would give you your answer tho.

Later

Comment

Working...
        X