vraytoon layer, Max8 VR1.5 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vraytoon layer, Max8 VR1.5 questions

I`ve got 3 questions regarding Vray 1.5RC3 @ MAX8sp3, maybe you can help me:

1) How to output the VrayToon egdes separately from the final image? I want to render the image with this env. effect, but I also want to have it on a separate layer.

2) one more question regarding MAX8 - why this #!!$%/@# program won`t remember the output file type in the "save image" dialog from the Vraybuffer? It`s always set to "all formats" and every time I want to save the render from the max or vray buffer I have to select "jpg". It`s so annoying, I hate max8 so much (with every new version it gets worse, I have an impression that they only fiddle round with the startup logo :[, never caring about the stability and workflow improvements)

3) How to make Vray work in DR mode ) (just kidding, it`s a tough one, I know this problem is unsolvable ) But seriously - Is there any chance that DR will work at all in the near future? It was discussed in the topic there: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=14493, but none of those methods work for me.

Thanks!

"I`m doomed to use max8."
    http://miroslawski.net

Re: vraytoon layer, Max8 VR1.5 questions

Originally posted by artykris
    1) How to output the VrayToon egdes separately from the final image? I want to render the image with this env. effect, but I also want to have it on a separate layer.
    Add a VRayAtmosphere render element; this one will contain the result of VRayToon. However, you'd need to make your lines to be different color than black (otherwise you'll get black lines on black background, which is probably not what you need). If you are also using the VRayPhysicalCamera, you may want to turn off Color Mapping for the render element as otherwise the lines may be too weak to notice (another option would be to boost the toon line color beyond RGB 255, 255, 255 through MaxScript).

2) one more question regarding MAX8 - why this #!!$%/@# program won`t remember the output file type in the "save image" dialog from the Vraybuffer? It`s always set to "all formats" and every time I want to save the render from the max or vray buffer I have to select "jpg". It`s so annoying, I hate max8 so much (with every new version it gets worse, I have an impression that they only fiddle round with the startup logo :[, never caring about the stability and workflow improvements)
    That would be for the Autodesk discussion forum, I guess. From what I see there you are not the only one suffering and things are a lot worse in 3dsmax 9 :-/

3) How to make Vray work in DR mode ) (just kidding, it`s a tough one, I know this problem is unsolvable ) But seriously - Is there any chance that DR will work at all in the near future? It was discussed in the topic there: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=14493, but none of those methods work for me.
    It works for a large number of people, but without any more information, I can't really tell what you can do. E.g. is it the spawner that cannot start 3dsmax? Or a problem with the DR process itself? You can start by trying to get DR to work on the same machine as both client and server (e.g. start the spawner on your own machine and do a DR rendering with it) and work on from there.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado!

Regarding DR - problem is that I can`t start the Spawner program, even on the same machine that has the license.
      When I launch vrayspawner60.exe MAX starts with an `untitled` file and immediately it closes, restarts, closes, and so on...
      I tried resaving the dummy file, launching backburner server / manager.
      DR stopped working for me since the version 1.47
      Is there any particular network setting I should check here? We have a local network of 30 comps here. What should I look for? Some admin-restrictions that can affect Vray? Ports blocked?

I`m really confused, I lost hope that DR wil work here again

Comment

Well, first of all do a test run with backburner; it seems that the first time you run it, it does some setup stuff which is needed later on.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
          Well, first of all do a test run with backburner; it seems that the first time you run it, it does some setup stuff which is needed later on.
          Best regards,
          Vlado
          I`ve tried backburner3 it connects with no problems. Still no luck with VR.DR
          Is there any issue with the XP account type? We all have here limited user accounts - no admin rights?

Comment

Ok then, another test: can you do a successful rendering from the command line (using 3dsmaxcmd.exe) on the render slaves?

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

It`s always set to "all formats" and every time I want to save the render from the max or vray buffer I have to select "jpg"
              I use Max 7.5, it has the same problem.
              I type the complete filename with extension into the file name input form.

e.g. "test_1.jpg" or "test_1.tif"

That way I don't need to choose the file format in the rollout.

It's not a solution to that anoying problem but I like it more that way because it takes less time..
              www.vknt.be

Comment

I just type it out of habit now, love how Autodesk is always improving our lives.......
                Two heads are better than one ...
                ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Working...
                X