noise in shadows with LWF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise in shadows with LWF

when i use LWF (max gamma 2.2), there is visible noise in shadows, compared to using vray with color mapping to gamma 2.2.
    i would like to raise the noise-in-shadows threshold but i'm not sure where it is...
    what would be the best way to deal with that?
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

I found out the same using linear instead of gamma correction in Colormapping rollout. No matter what u do, u wont get rid of the noise using linear in the shadows, it's like vray decides not to sample there in that dark corner and therefore noise pops up.
    My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
    Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
    Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

yeah, which sounds logical. but there should be a way to tell vray that it should shift the shadow-threshold for calculations?
      i can't believe it isn't possible, with all the obscure noise settings in the render dialog?
      Marc Lorenz
      www.marclorenz.com

Comment

Lowering the rQMC noise threshold (or if GI is fine, just the AA threshold)helps.
        Just make sure your max subdivs (QMC AA) value isn't too high, as lowering the noise threshold will ensure you're very likely to hit it everywhere else as well.

Lele

Comment

man this QMC stuff...
          i'll be damned if i ever get it.
          Marc Lorenz
          www.marclorenz.com

Comment

There's a good chance also the adaptive amount has to be set to < 0.5.
            If QMC gi is set as primary, that too has to be raised fairly high.

A very clean setup here is as follows:
            QMC AA 1-12 / use rQMC thresh
            no image filter
            QMC GI 32-48 subdivs
            LC whatever setting is preferred (low is fine)
            Adaptive amount : 0.45
            Noise threshold : 0.002

This cleans scenes at the expense of rendertime, but noise isn't visible in the darkest of places even at 400% zoom.

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_
              yeah, which sounds logical. but there should be a way to tell vray that it should shift the shadow-threshold for calculations?
              i can't believe it isn't possible, with all the obscure noise settings in the render dialog?
              In newer versions, you can tell V-Ray to use color mapping only internally to guide the number of samples, but to produce a linear color image in the end. So, for example, you set the color mapping gamma to 2.2 and V-Ray will calculate as though gamma 2.2 is applied to the result, but without actually applying it. To a very large extent this solves the whole issue.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Aaaaah, lovely to hear...

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                  Originally posted by plastic_
                  In newer versions, you can tell V-Ray to use color mapping only internally to guide the number of samples, but to produce a linear color image in the end. So, for example, you set the color mapping gamma to 2.2 and V-Ray will calculate as though gamma 2.2 is applied to the result, but without actually applying it. To a very large extent this solves the whole issue.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Yeah, this was a point on the changelog that made me smile! Cool implementation!
                  This signature is only a temporary solution

Comment

Working...
                  X