Special settings for Quad Core Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special settings for Quad Core Users?

I saw something earlier about having to specify thread usage with maxscript to get Vray to use all core threads. I just got a hot new Quad core system today and plan to run XP64 with MAX 9 and 1.5rc3 on it. Is there anything I need to know about or do special to make things run at full potential or should I even worry about it?

Thanks - Dave

It should be fine without any special settings; the maxscript thingy was only when you submit to renderfarms with 3dsmax 9.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

lightcache is set to 4 threads by default so when you get an 8 core system you might need to change that
      WerT
      www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
        It should be fine without any special settings; the maxscript thingy was only when you submit to renderfarms with 3dsmax 9.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Vlado,

I do plan to add a few Quad Core Racks to the Farm next week so I suppose I will need to know what I have to do to get them to use all 4 threads on network render jobs. These things cost waaay too much to not be using all 4 cores.

Thanks - Dave

Comment

You need to open the maxscript listener and type

Code:
          renderers.current.system_numThreads=4
          before submitting the scene to the renderfarm.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Thank you Vlado

Now If I can just figure out how to make that Automatic so I don't have to type it all of the time. I am definatly not script savy for sure.

Comment

Well, newer builds automatically do that for network rendering; I'm not quite sure there is a way to script this for the current build though.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Newer Builds eh? As in RC4 perhaps? Any new information on possible release date "wink" "wink" ? (Starts to salivate...)

Comment

does that renderfarm/maxscript thing go for render farm submissions through 3rd party network renderers also like Deadline?

we just got 10 dual quadcore render boxes and I need to make sure they are being used to their fullest advantage.

V Miller

Comment

does that renderfarm/maxscript thing go for render farm submissions through 3rd party network renderers also like Deadline?

we just got 10 dual quadcore render boxes and I need to make sure they are being used to their fullest advantage.

V Miller

Comment

V Miller

Comment

Working...
                      X