Confused by Gamma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused by Gamma

I'm a new Vray user, I've been reading this forum for quite sometime and I've picked up a lot of good information. One thing that continues to frustrate me is the issue of Gamma correction. From what I've read it seems that under color mapping Gamma correction is the preferred setting to ensure that all colors are correct. My multiplier is set to .454, Inverse gamma is set to .454 and it's set to affect background and I've enabled Gamma/LUT correction under Max 9's preference settings. When I render using the Vray frame buffer I'm apparently seeing an image before it has been gamma corrected, if I understand correctly I need to go into "show correction control" and adjust the curve color correction to display the correct gamma, however when I try to do this Max will crash. The only way I can view the corrected gamma is by using the default Max frame buffer but by doing that I can't see the information stamp any longer. I also don't understand why I can't use any of the other color mapping types, there obviously there for a reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

basically, using linear colour mapping at 1 / 1, the Vray Frame buffer displays colours in linear space. the Max frame buffer displays colours in sRGB space. You can change the Vray Frame buffer to display colours in sRGB space by clicking on the little sRGB button on the frame buffer - you are now looking at colours which are gamma corrected in the Vray Frame buffer.

You can save renders out to a 32bit linear format (without burning the gamma into the image to remain linear) and apply an viewing LUT in a post application to continue to work in LWF.

Alternatively, you can burn the gamme into the image - the best way to do this in my opinion is just to use Linear Colour mapping still but change the gamma to 2.2. I think this is the same as using gamma correction colour mapping with inverse gamma set to 0.454545454545454....

Comment

Working...
    X