posterized lighting in shadow areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• posterized lighting in shadow areas

This ever happen to anyone? Doing some lighting test for camera animation (was planing to use IR/LC with loaded maps) and for some reason, the shadows and parts of the image in shade have a kind of posterized or banding effect to them. I tried also just doing single frame QMC/LC and its still there,as in the image below. this is a simple scene with one vray light and environment light. I have a vray plane as the floor with simple vray material on both floor and object.

http://www.geocities.com/highpoly/fo...d_lighting.jpg

1 vray light, 16 subs
    AA QMC 1/4
    QMC 24 subs
    rQMC 0.002, 16 global subs
    LC, 1000 subs, 0.004 sample size (sceen), store direct off, filter: nearest, interp samples: 10.

i thought maybe my LCD monitor was exagerating the banding, but on a CRT, the banding is still there...any thoughts?
    thanks

Link doesn't work for me (comes up with gibberish).
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

maybe was TIFF in browser issue..saved as JPG

http://www.geocities.com/highpoly/fo...d_lighting.jpg

i used really high QMC setting to get rid of noise but banding/posterizing is still there. I mean that you can see the gradients between the shadow levels, I dont know how else to call it but posterized....

thanks

Comment

http://www.geocities.com/highpoly/forum/banding.mov

this is a QT of the IR/LC version with the light maps precalculated and loaded. there is no shadow flicker, which is great, but the posterization in the shadows is there as is visible.

Comment

Do you have 'clamp output' on? Could be just a limitation of the 8 bit color space.
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

looks okay to me... i think it's your screen settings

ern

Comment

didnt think of that...where would find the clamp output setting...?

Comment

Originally posted by ern
                looks okay to me... i think it's your screen settings

ern
                Yeah, I should have added that as well. Looks fine over here on a calibrated LCD (maybe some ever so slight banding visible but nothing major).

The clamp output is under 'Color Mapping" but if you don't know where it is probably not checked.

Comment

i think you guys are right..must be my montior....sometimes very low-level lighting seems to always appear like that..guess need to calibrate..

Comment

Working...
                  X