Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner window question

Hello,
    Sorry if this simple question has been answered. I did a search but it came back with 1600 posts and some of those were from old versions of Vray, I could not go through all of them. I’m working on my first architectural rendering ever and I’m planning to render with Vray. There are a lot of windows and I want to make them right from the get go rather then to have to go back and change them at render time.

I only want to know what type of geometry to use for the window glass and what material? Obviously I want them to let a lot of light pass through and be reflective. I will be doing static renderings for day and night from both behind and in front of the windows.

Should they be a box? A plane? Two plans? If a box then how thick should they be (my frames are about 3 inches)? Should I use a Vray or Max material for the glass?

Thanks very much for the help

for standard arch glass, i use planes. heck I still use a standard material too with just simple opacity set to appropriate # and vraymap in the reflection slot. Old habits die hard. But for arch glass, refraction really isn't necessary.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Percydaman,
      Thank you for the feedback. I will start with that. Is it important to use two planes instead of just one? Does it matter how far apart they are (thickness of window) or which way the normals are facing?

Thanks again

Comment

use one plane. that's usually looking good enough and it saves render time. i am not sure about the normals, never tested it, i always have them facing in the direction of my camera.
        www.short-cuts.de

Comment

i agree, single plane/face with normals facing camera usually is good for arch windows

Comment

Working...
          X