Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

596 hour render time using vray proxy????!!!!!????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 596 hour render time using vray proxy????!!!!!????

Yeah..... You read it right. Without vray proxy scene will render in about an hour and a half. With proxy it goes to 24 days and something. Simple materials on proxy's some glossy reflections but have 8 subdivisions on them. Any hints as to why such a long time.

how big r ur proxys?r they one small file instanced?is t a huge file?r u rendering locally, or networking render?

all in all i d say that with big proxys it s rather sad to watch the buckets drag along the screen...

Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
    nuno@ene-digital.com
    00351 917593145

Comment

it is being Network rendered.
      I dont think thier instanced? Does that matter?

Comment

sure does, geezer.
        Say you have 100 trees, all instances of one.
        You select the lot, and go "proxy", you create a single, massive geometry file.
        Making proxying entirely useless...

Also, in general the bigger the proxy, the more the time estimate is thrown off balance at the start, while the rendering all but pauses to wait for the mesh loading to be done.
        It goes back to normal later.

Most i found in time impact with proxies was around 20%, when done well.
        I have also seen entire blocks worth of hedges condensed into a 1gb+ proxy, spanning the whole scene, and laughed my head off, while waiting for the render to start...

Never mistake a tool for a solution

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
          Never mistake a tool for a solution
          i double that!

proxy´s r indeed a very usefull/powerfull toll, but u need to use it wiselly
          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
          nuno@ene-digital.com
          00351 917593145

Comment

I wonder if it also the fact that you are rendering the proxies with glossy reflections?

normally if our proxies are too big (in terms of the number of polygons in the original geometry) the rendering hits the memory limit very quickly and crashes anyway.

Comment

Actually if you dont instance the proxys than they disappear, so I think you have instanced them allright.
              I think you will solve your problems by changing memory limit from 400MB to 800MB in vray system rollout.
              Leave default geometry static.
              www.VisualizationStudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by kpavlov
                Actually if you dont instance the proxys than they disappear, so I think you have instanced them allright.
                I think you will solve your problems by changing memory limit from 400MB to 800MB in vray system rollout.
                Lol?
                I never realised they did...
                Also, in static BSP mode, i think the memory limit is useless (besides, proxies are dynamic in themselves, i got some wrap on the knuckles by Vlado about this )

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
                  Originally posted by kpavlov
                  Lol?
                  I never realised they did...
                  Also, in static BSP mode, i think the memory limit is useless (besides, proxies are dynamic in themselves, i got some wrap on the knuckles by Vlado about this )

Lele
                  Actually the dynamic memory limit is still valid while in static mode for dynamic entities such as proxies.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

oh that's a new one, Eric.
                    So it's the same for the micropoly displacement, along with proxies?

Lele

Comment

afaik, yes, 3D Displacement used to have it's own memory controls but they are gone now. I suppose fur too.
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

I didn't know this, here's what the manual says:

Note that some objects (displacement-mapped objects, VRayProxy and VRayFur objects, for example) always generate dynamic geometry.

Comment

All dynamic memory based vray objects.. proxies, fur, displacement are affected by the dynamic memory spinner regardless of wether or not the memory type is set to static or dynamic.
                          Setting it to dynamic is similar to putting the whole scene in a proxy.. in one way or another.. haha

There is still a chance that he has one uber sized proxy containing all his trees instead of proxying one of each variety and then instancing them. I will put my eggs in that basket

Comment

It happend to me when I had a scene with 25 000 proxy trees that just lightcache calculation was 25 hours, but when I incresed memory limit to 800MB it lasted half an hour. Vlado told me so, and even its nit logical to me it works.
                            www.VisualizationStudio.com

Comment

Seems logical to me.. sounds like you were just cramming to many proxied objects into too small of a memory space. Increasing it gave more room for it to breath.. so to speak.

And I assume all your trees were instances of a few different types of trees.

Comment

Working...
                              X