No announcement yet.

Best trees for animations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've been using some 3d trees i bought from online (like dosch and such), and use them as vray proxies. obviously, i'd optimize the poly-count of the default tree mesh as it comes in the market.
    so things have been alright so far. and luckily i didn't have to grow any forests so far either.

but i remember many years ago, i used treestorm, and love the wind features and it also allowed to control the poy-count which was a good experience. best thing was that i could actually make my own customized trees.

i also looked into olitech's trees, but frankly i'd be worrying about using so many opacities in the scene. like percy and geert mentioned, opacity can be a really killer for heavy scenes. and now-a-days machines can handle geometry much better as well...

haven't tried arboretum yet, looks are good for sure... i'll sure give it a try.

Comment

Theres a good Evermotion tree/ bush library with vray materials already applied. object library 31 i think it was.

we got them recently and they look great. just convert them to vraproxies first . we also tweaked them a bit more because they render a bit bright.

mostly use Onyxtree though, also converted to proxies once the materials are all turned into vray materials.

You basically attach all of the bits of mesh together and save out the resulting submaterial to your library along with the vray proxy. makes it easy

Opacity mapped xfrog trees are horribly slow. The plants are mostly fine but the trees are very slow even with settings Daforce mentioned.

Comment

Did anyone of you ever consider to use

vue 6 with the link to max ?

I know , it only works perfekt with mental ray ... grrrrrr....

but maybe thereĀ“s a workaround.

landscapes look stunning , trees can use wind...

first question is, how easy it is, to produce not a procedural terrain, but exactly the solution, your architekt needs,

secound is how easy it would be to setup a pipline to vray.

third is ... does anyone have any experiance here.

looking for quality, it seems to me to be a great solution. also it seems, vue can export hdri environements to max, so one could use hdri skys to get the same lightsolutions as in vue, i max..

Comment

Have not used Vue6 But Vue5 with Xstream with Max had so many issues scale, flickering/shimmering etc

Stunning renders though I agree, hopefully the Latest version is better.

Comment

Working...
          X