viz 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viz 2008

anyone try vray 1.5 with viz2008? I just got it today and went to install it and thought I better check first.

Yeah so far no problems. You will have to manually reinstall backburner off the installation dvd otherwise it defaults to viz2007.
    "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I can only say to be aware installing it in different location than default one!!! ...or before DL the patch from their website!!!
      thanx again autodesk!!! I think this one won the competition for the fastest patched released of ever!!!

That said, I have not purchased the update yet; I'll do it in a couple of months, so I'm interested too in VRay users feedback.

let us know

a.
      Alessandro

Comment

thanks guys. I didn't even know we were on subscription.

I just read all 15 "improvements" from 07. WOW. 15 differences from 07, 5 of which were really fixes to the xref system, which I've had disasterous experiences with, and hence don't use. 5 of which deal with the SDK and scripting which I don't use.

11.) rendering enhancements - don't use.
        12.) better interoperability between acad and revit - don't use
        13.) performance enhancments - yeah right. I'll believe that one when I see it.
        14.) learning - great!
        15.) easy link to subscription from interface - yeah, because opening firefox and clicking the "subscription center bookmark" was WAY too much work.

So would I purchase an upgrade from 07 to 08? NO. Don't know why they set me up with subscription! I'm a one man operation in a medium sized architecture firm that doesn't use any other autodesk products other than viz. Whatever.

I hated autodesk when I was a cad manager at my last job and they started their 8 month release program. Shoving a new release with more subtraction of features than gain down everyone's throat was nerve wracking! Everyone would say: "why are we upgrading again? We just got this new release a couple months ago".

The necessary evil of Autodesk.

I wish vray would develop a stand alone render engine to work with sketchup

Comment

Yeah I haven't noticed a single improvement from 2007 except for the material editor displays correctly when using LWF. Wouldn't recommend the upgrade unless you're on subscription. I was hoping for a 64bit version and a new backburner but no dice!

Oh and you can open max9 files, woohoo. Also I'm getting a little better viewport performance. The dwf export function might be a tad useful for letting clients interactively choose their desired views to be rendered. Haven't tested this out though.
          -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by phildlight

I wish vray would develop a stand alone render engine to work with sketchup
            http://www.asgvis.com/index.php?page...mart&Itemid=78
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

Well the new mental ray is pretty nice and can be useful, except there's some processor issue that makes it about twice as slow on my dual-quad core at work... it doesn't use all 8 cores, it looks like it only uses 4, and those four rather inefficiently. Vray works fine, though.

The viewport speed enhancements might be worth the upgrade alone depending on what you do, but to be honest my boss and I are wondering if they're going to really start slowing Viz development and make everyone switch over to Max... which we're going to do anyway.

Incidentally, they released a service pack for Viz 2007 that fixes the material editor gamma correction issue.

Comment

If you use file linking beware of this:
                http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9242898

Comment

I export my files from Revit to dwg to file link in viz. When I updated two of my scenes from 07 to 08 I had a problem which was causing viz to crash when trying to render. My advice would be to keep copies of all 07 files in that format. I had to relink the files in 08 and re apply materials to get it to work.

Comment

Actually the viewport performance is pretty substantial. Even on a laptop radeon x1400 it's performing very smooth. Could save you money on your next video card purchase.
                    -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Phil, which company do you work for?

Comment

Originally posted by travistlo
                        IKM. where are you?

BTW> I installed 08 and vray 1.5R3. Viz seems REALLY slow! When you cancel a render it just sits there for about 4 minutes. I went through the model and triple checked everything to make sure I didn't have some kinda radiosity solution checked or something, and nothing... Just slow? Anyone else notice this?

Comment

Originally posted by phildlight
                          Originally posted by travistlo
                          IKM. where are you?

BTW> I installed 08 and vray 1.5R3. Viz seems REALLY slow! When you cancel a render it just sits there for about 4 minutes. I went through the model and triple checked everything to make sure I didn't have some kinda radiosity solution checked or something, and nothing... Just slow? Anyone else notice this?
                          If you wish you can email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com for a possible work around for this.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

A few things...

Quite unstable, I can not open several projects at the same time.
                            Ressource collector takes hours, when it was taking only a few minutes in previous versions.
                            Really slow on cancel, ( but that could be Vray, point was brought up)

Just sharing
                            Alain Blanchette
                            www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Working...
                            X