Braided metal material help/suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided metal material help/suggestions

I'm trying to make a more convincing looking material for these 2 inch diameter galvanized steel tie-rods. This is a WIP and all i know is the arch drawings call them out that way. I was assuming they would look like a braided steel rope. Has anyone ever made a material like this they would be willing to share or just advise?

Thanks,JR

The detail will hardly be noticable i reckon, but if you search for a jpg on the net of a braided metal you should be able to PS it to a tileable texture then just use that. If you have trouble with that , maybe look for a braided rope texture then change the coloring to suit metal??

Comment

if its called out as galvanized steel rods than they wouldnt be braided looking ??

Comment

Good suggestions, i will look around some more. As far as braided, I'm just checking until the architect can clarify or show me a photo of his intention...I've seen setups like this before, but they were always braided looking...

Thanks a lot, JR

Comment

I've built many of these and have never seen braided steel. It is always just a simple metal rod. The reason is that the rod prevents upward movement caused by wind. Also, galvanized should look darker.

Comment

yes that is true.
            if u use braided stell and cable for those elements, then u need to tie from bottom of structure too which works in compression.
            so that braide stell will work for tension and other one compression. and can prevent it being like sail on wind.

Comment

Thanks for the answers

Yes, it was a stell rod, linke in my fj40.
              I did make it darker, too, thanks for all the help.

Best regards,
              JR

Comment

Working...
              X