Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raycaster Parameters

Hey all,

Can someone talk a little bit about the usage of this area of VRay. I understand it conceptually but i want to get a better handle on this. I guess more specifically i want to know about when to change it and what to change as far as the settings go. Thanks in advance.
    -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Played with "max. tree depth" long time ago. I remember I saw small decrease in rendertime, when I rised it. But, the scene was really heavy.

I think it's not worth playing with, except when you need every second. For ex. animation.
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

Comment

Setting the face/level coeff. parameter to 1.0 will speed up your renderings, in most cases, at the expense of some more RAM.

Increasing it (as well as decreasing the Max. depth) will slow the rendering, but may save a few megabytes.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I was thinking more about renderability then speed increases or decreases. I have a couple scenes here that i think should render fine but they are crashing whenever i try to render them at 1280 HD res. So can you guys comment on the static and dynamic part...as well as anything else related to scene processing. Thanks again.

Comment

The raycaster parameters may save you some RAM, but probably not that much (from what I could test on one sample scene, for 4 million faces the raycaster takes about 300 MB). Using dynamic memory saves more RAM on the whole.

Otherwise, to render at a high resolution, you can either use the 3dsmax VFB with the Bitmap pager enabled, or use the V-Ray VFB and write a .vrimg file with the memory buffer disabled (and lower resolution for the 3dsmax VFB).

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado...i'll give that whirl.

Comment

Working...
            X