Merging LC, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging LC, is it possible?

Can i merge the LC somehow the same way as i can do it with the Irr map?

Need to know since i have 500 frames to render using the precalc fly through method. However i use max 8 and my pagefile hits 3.8 gb on half its way, so no 64 bit support and max will crash.

I do assume precal it with max9 64bit and then load it into 8 wont help me. (would be an awsome feature though)

cheers

Ralf

If you can get one 64bit machine to pre-calc it and save it to file that would work.

Also teh LC is saved within the IR map as well (if your using IR as first bounce) So you can precalc the first segment of the LC on a machine that can do it. It will then save it into the IR and if you need to merge it with another LC just make sure thats also saved in the IR and merge the 2 IR maps together.

I think that makes sense.....

Comment

Thx

Well the way i do it setting both bounces to lc and activate the dont render final image button, Once this is done i load the lc as second bounce and precalc the irr map. Well using this technique my animation has no flickering which is good and the rendertime in 720p is about 17min a frame.

I dont know if this is a smart prcedure or not, but if i understand you correctly the way i do it does not support your idea. Am i right ? As i said first i use LC for both bounces tp precalc it and then switch over to irr as first.

AS you might have noticed i am new to lc, i am used to qmc and i am trying out new things

thx for your help

chhers

ralf

I just tested the max9 64 bit precalc strategy, and max 8 crashes right away without a notice.

Comment

You could calc the IR and LC at the same time.. in the 2 segments. And the IR and LC are combined.. then you will have 2 IR maps which will contain the LC info. So no need to merge the LC just merge the 2 IR maps.

Your way Surely would cause some oddities, due to the light from the LC being calc'd differently.. LC/LC vs IR/LC

Maybe not, I might test to see. As you have me all curious now.

Comment

ok

So what mean is i set up the rendering with 1st bounce irr and 2nd lc. Do a precalc and autosave the irr and lc. Once this is done i set up the rendering just to one bounce with irr.?? I am confused now

I am asking because you said the LC will be stored in irr.

cheers

ralf

Comment

Yep exactly.. after you have precalced the IR and LC.. the LC or QMC for that mater is combined into the IR.. so for final rendering only the First bounce set to IR is need.. set the 2nd bounce to none and just load the saved IR.

The only real exception is if you have "use LC for glossy rays" ticked, if thats the case you will need to load the LC. But apart from that.. no need

The 2nd bounce info is stored in the IR map. Well LC and QMC anyway.

Comment

Thx a bunch...

Ok i think i got now. So guessing the 64 bit precalc wont work i just split up my 500 frames to 2 computers getting 250 frames a piece. Then once everything is precalced i merge the irr set it to 1 bounce only and off i go. Lets see if this works out. Thx a lot for help. Massivly appriciated

cheers

ralf

Comment

Yep sounds exactly like what I first mentioned.. but in less words haha

Let me know the results.

Comment

Worked out great...

Thx for your help it worked all out very well. Had a few light leaks but fixed that as well. So thax again

cheers

Ralf

Comment

Brilliant

Good to hear!!

Comment

Working...
                    X