Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neon light ?

Hello friends !

I do have a text I wish to let light, but the text should light only on the outlines. (stroke)

I would like to know if this is possible without using multi/object materials and selecting faces on the mesh. hmmm, so if it's possible to do something like this just with a vray material ?

Thx for every little help,
    bernhard
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Make the text from a max text shape with a mesh select on it to make the solid fill surface. Then make a copy of it, delete the mesh select and turn on renderable for the spline. Make the radius as thick as the thickness of the neon tubing you want to make and apply a vray light material to it so it emits light. Personally I use a falloff in the map slot of the vray light material so I can get a bit of variation between the edge and center of the tubing. you'll need to enable gi to get this to work and if your tubing is very thin, you'll probably need a high multiplier to get enough light coming out to be effective.

Comment

hmmm..

Hello and thank you for your idea.

Well, I forgot to tell you, that I do have not the opertunity to use a text shape.

I've got an original logo as mesh, without having the font.
      That's a litle bit sad, but so I can't get the splines.

I think your idea was to get the splines renderable, and using a vraylight material on it... hmm, good idea, but i think in my case, it will not work....

hmmmm......
      www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

An image of what youve got would be helpful, with edged faces turned on. There are loads of ways to do this.

Comment

Create the outside shape and make a vraylight material and apply it to it for the material. As mentioned, turn on gi, and bump it a few times to get it to emit some good light.
          Colin Senner

Comment

thank you

Thank you guys, good ideas, I will try all the ways you suggested me.
            Thx for all your help,

I really appreciate that much.

bernhard
            www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Yup - you could also make the mesh into an epoly object, go into border mode and select everything - detach a copy of the edges as a shape and you've got the splines automatically.

Comment

Or in edit poly connect edges or inset and then extrude or bevel, then apply VRayLight mtl, and use DE or high irrmap settings.
                I just can't seem to trust myself
                So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                ---------------------------------------------------------
                CG Artist

Comment

hehe...

thx guys, you really rock !
                  bernhard
                  www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Make it an editable mesh, then select all edges, use the auto edge visible tool, adjust the settings, it should hide all the edges that are not a border. Convert to EPoly, then select borders.

Comment

Working...
                    X