• Show
Clear All

Very cool!!

Comment

Brilliant Vlado, just brilliant!!

need a tester

Comment

That sounds great, nice one Vlado.

Any idea what the new limit is? for example how many instances of a 300,000 poly object could it handle?

Maybe a full scene of blowing trees will be feasible?

oh and I'd be happy to test it too.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
          Any idea what the new limit is? for example how many instances of a 300,000 poly object could it handle?
          Um. As many as you like? Since the geometry is not duplicated, an instance takes very little memory (besides the original mesh, of course).

Maybe a full scene of blowing trees will be feasible?
          I would say it's possible

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

*drool* yea sign me up for testing as well

Comment

Da force, ive created proxys of thos trees and plants but there are only 5 types of trees thats all, then ive instanced it also happens when ive only put one type of tree the 300 times instanced.

Comment

ah ok good good.

Weird I have render a scene with easily 100 tees (3 types proxied then instanced) without problems and ram was rather low. about 700mb I believe.

Proxy is still the best way to go for the things you can proxy, and I would suggest using proxys AND dynamic which will help lower the memory usage of the remaining mesh in the scene.

Is it definitly crashing due to memory? How much memory do you have in your machines and are you using 32 or 64bit?
                When it crashes whats the memory usage? perhaps its not a memory problem...?

Comment

Ok, mi ram on all my machines is about 2gig, and all my procesors are around 2.4 and 3.4 pentium d an core 2 duo, also happends with my xeon server and my pentium extreme dual core 3.2 with 4gig of ram so i dont think its only a memory issue but it crashes randomly all the time.

Comment

uff....

Hello friends !

We could find out that we have one serious problem using vray materials with a multi-subobject material.

What exatlcy do I mean ?
                    As instance, if you do have a glas material usually used on windows, and the light is shinig through this glas, you can see of course this light inside the building.

That's how it should work, and how it will work if you use just one vray material.

If you use the same material in a multi-subobject material, the light is gone, and will not be rendered in the building anymore, because the light is not anymore shining through the glas material.

I thhink you know that allready, but workign with vray proxies and having this issue with a multi subobject material is really hard.

What does it mean for using proxies ?
                    Well, I decided to use proxies for larger scene files, and using for instanced windows on buildings. The buildings are more complex, and groups are not really working, so I was planing to attach everything to one single mesh, and using a multi subobject material, all preparing for vray proxies.

If you now make an animation, and the camera is coming from outside to the inside, you will not see the light shining through the glas anymore.

sorry for that news, but I just recognized that,
                    please let me know if I am wrong, or if there is any other solution for this.

thx a lot,
                    bernhard
                    www.bernhardrieder.com
                    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Comment

Bernhard,
                      It's a longtime reported bug in RC3, fixed in RC4 and beyond. Here's a workaround for RC3, though:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...affect+shadows

Comment

Working...
                      X