No announcement yet.

any tips for lowering ram eating when using Irr+LC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can upload it on an ftp somewhere; if you don't have a server handy, you can email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com and I'll give you the details for our ftp. Without a reproducible case, there is really nothing that I can advise.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

ok ill see what I can do. Unfortunately the max archive function doesn't include proxy's if memory serves. Ive also been trying to set it to dynamic without success.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

@ Infrared digital: I have had no problems with our 64-bit systems. I have 7 dual Opteron systems with 4gb ram and I never run out of memory (though I sometimes get up around 3.6 gb used) even with huge files with multi-million poly counts. The old 32-bit nodes are constantly failing. For me 64 bit systems have done everything they promised and more. I've even upped my new high-end workstation spec to 8 gb to make them even more future proof.
        "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Clifton, I would like to get a hold of your system settings and VRay settings because my machines ram definitely gets absorbed in certain renderings very rapidly.
          www.morphic.tv
          www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

i also have a project thats crashing giving an unhandled exception error from backburner. I can watch it, and it wont give an error on screen just crash. Its being sent 64bit through and through and being rendered on a machine with 8 gigs of memory, and it doesn't even get to 4 gigs.
            I am also getting these crashes throught backburner but i'm not running 64bit system. Occasionally the render completes (Some views more often than others) but i can not define why. I've got 4Gb of Ram with the 3Gb Switch and watching through the task manager it only seems to use about 1.7Gb before crashing. I am using Vray 1.5 and viz2008 but the scene was originally created with Viz2007 and Vray 1.47 not sure if this could be an issue.
            Greg

Comment

1.7GB is what happens when the /3GB switch is not being used. Are you 100% sure that the /3GB switch setup and working properly?
              Have you ever seen memory usage for 3dsmax.exe go over 1.7GB?

Comment

Yeah, 1.7 is about all I could get out of my ram when I was using 32-bit windows with 3gb switch enabled. It maxed out at about 1.2 or 1.3 before enabling it.

Ah... the good ol' days. Glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore...
                "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Well without the 3GB switch max will crash when its chewed up 1.78GB or thereabouts.. with it.. it can go up to 3GB thats the whole point of it.

Now sure why you chaps are crashing before then with it enabled.

I have only just recently enabled it and before that was seeing renders crash at the 1.78GB mark.. no no problems at all.

Comment

It was working i have used and checked it in the past. I will have to go back and check it's still working and there is not a hardware conflict as i recently had harware & software upgrades installed.
                    Greg

Comment

Working...
                    X