Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backburner....

hello pple,
    it seems that backburner new built are full of bugs.i d like to know if i can find an other utility to render animations via local network....
    regards

unoffical latest build

ftp://ftp.discreet.com/pub1/release/...07.1.0_231.zip

Comment

I'm gonna have to Second that. I'm havign to restart my servers all the tiem now so they'll take additional jobs in the que.

Comment

.....backburner blows.....

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

thanks for the link....btw i am looking for another manager .......

Comment

Deadline is great ... but

Deadline is a great manager but you must have it set up properly. We just did a big project and on Day one of the final push Deadline went down - the old install of Deadline was done by somebody out of house and it was rock solid - the new latest install was done by muppets from the IT department and we have had a whole list of problems.
            We ended up finishing the thing out with Backburner which for the most part was stable but we had to mannually set the managers IP.
            That being said Backburner went down at 2.10am on the final night of production ( it was delivered at 6am ) so the final shot had to be changed.

I'd look definetly look into deadline

Comment

what i was told from an autodesk application engineer was that autodesk doesn't see backburner as a revenue generator and therefor isn't going to spend much money improving it. he said that if you rely heavily on network rendering he actually recommended not using BB and instead use 3rd party software...like deadline. its sad because they dont realize that it is such an important tool for alot of studios and it needs to work properly.
              supposedly the web version of BB is more stable and things like "assign to current job" actually work....i've yet to try it.
              -joe
              www.boxxtech.com

Comment

Autodesk really needs to stop making or pretending to support BB. I run 24 machines and have rescently given up on BackBurner looking into 3rd party apps now.

Biggest problem i had with BB was if i had a 200 frame job couple minutes per frame. I'd set it up hit render all's green and going. Come back in the morning only bout 50 frames are done and only 2 or so nodes are still rendering. The rest of the nodes are just sitting idle. What would happen is BB would lose connection to a node for what ever reason, when it comes back it'd just sit there idle not being reassigned the job.
                James Hall
                Technical Director
                New Zealand
                www.jhall.nz

Comment

thanks for the reply...
                  i found many apps like pipeline fx butterfly dr queue...
                  btw deadline seems the best answer.
                  thx very much
                  regards

Comment

Originally posted by Short_Fuse
                    Autodesk really needs to stop making or pretending to support BB. I run 24 machines and have rescently given up on BackBurner looking into 3rd party apps now.

Biggest problem i had with BB was if i had a 200 frame job couple minutes per frame. I'd set it up hit render all's green and going. Come back in the morning only bout 50 frames are done and only 2 or so nodes are still rendering. The rest of the nodes are just sitting idle. What would happen is BB would lose connection to a node for what ever reason, when it comes back it'd just sit there idle not being reassigned the job.
                    Rather sounds like you had Task Blocking enabled in a case when it shouldnt be.

Regards,
                    Thorsten

Comment

In the new RC, DR is supposed to work in backburner. Would DR also work in something like Deadline?
                      "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Originally posted by QuakeMarine1
                        I just tried this one on a couple of machines and it totally broke my net rendering, backburner couldn't launch max on the servers and it brought back the old vraydummy constant crashing/restarting/crashing.. had to go back to 2007.0.2. you gotta love autodesk.
                        max 9 x64 and xp 64 here.

Comment

ah, good to know rivoli - i was just about to try that beta. not being able to swap jobs among nodes is really starting to get to me, was hoping there would be a fix.

hmmm, are you saying that the web monitor is more stable? seemed like a little hassle to set up though, might be worth it...

gotta love autodesks response to this, sounds like nobody uses it - well, over here, it is one of the most important apps in the pipeline - thank you autodesk!

Comment

I have posted numerous issues with backburner on their forum. I don't think they read any of their user feedback. I have never received a reply to any of my posts. Its great to see their concern for end users. Most corporate entities at least pretend to care...

Ah, I can confront them at Siggraph
                            "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

hah, nice one clifton - confront them a little from me aswell

Comment

Working...
                              X