Color Mapping and Vray cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Mapping and Vray cameras

I'm working on a scene where I have multiple physical cameras. For each one I need to change the color mapping settings to match the camera before rendering, which made me think that colour mapping setting should be better placed within camera creation dialog, not the render dialog.

How are you guys dealing with the same problem?

Regards

Zoran

You mean you need to have a similar "exposure"?
    If so you might try the matrix exposimeter script i prepared a while back (http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/leles-vray-tools).
    It will change, for exposure purposes only, the colormapping to linear, before reverting it back to whatever you set it beforehand.
    Something may be off, very likely, but the ballpark should be the same for each camera.

Lele

Comment

Lele,

I probably wasn't clear in my first post.

For example imagine a room with 2 cameras each one pointing to diferent direction.
      I set up lighting and cameras for the first camera and adjusted the colour mapping to be reinhard 2.2/0.7/1 and, let's say, that is perfect for that view.
      For my second camera I changed reinhard settings to 1.5/0.1/0.5 and that's perfect for that particular view.
      Now, at render time, I set up camera 1 to render but, accidentaly, left the reinhard settings from camera 2 and the result is all wrong.
      Sometimes I've got scenes with 10 or more cameras and have to write down in "summary info" settings for all cameras because I can't remember them all.

My point is that colour mapping should go within camera's dialog because it depends on camera settings.
      Or, somehow, link the colour settings dialog to change interacivally depending on the camera view currently selected. :P

Thanks

Zoran

Comment

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt you be better off changing the camera settings to get the light levels to your liking instead of changing the color mapping?

Comment

You were perfectly clear on your first post, but i'm of the same advice as daForce, hence my reply.
          The camera exposure IS a colormapping function already.
          It seems from your two sample settings for the colormapping that you're not quite "tweaking" but literally re-exposing.
          Hence the type of reply.

On the other hand, i believe render presets, scene states, and the batch render dialog already provide you with the tools to set up multiple cameras with multiple render settings.

Lele

Comment

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt you be better off changing the camera settings to get the light levels to your liking instead of changing the color mapping?
            Well, in my case not really. It's like photography. No matter how good and professinal the photograper and his/her camera settings are I always do little adjustments to correct levels or gamma for images that I'm using.
            The same thing with Vray. I always use colour mapping to do final tuning.

On the other hand, i believe render presets, scene states, and the batch render dialog already provide you with the tools to set up multiple cameras with multiple render settings.

Lele

Thanks Lele. Render presets are the closest to what I want.

Regards

Zoran

Comment

Working...
            X