various VRAY questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• various VRAY questions

just recently switched from over 10 years of using max scanline to vray and I had a couple of questions

1: is there still a need to include and exclude things from certain lights to improve render times?

2: is there still a need to include and exclude things from reflections calc's to improve render times, and how do I do it?

3: What does this mean? "warning: scene is too far away from origin. possible raycast errors"

4: does vray support standard cameras with "correction modifiers" appled to them

i sure theres more but I will start with these

once again,

thanks

1: Probably not - render in passes instead. You'll get innacurate gi though.

2: You can't since vray has its own reflection type and those controls aren't available.

3: Your scene is really far away from 0,0,0 - it means you might get some inaccuracies with rays missing objects far away - might slow down scenes a bit. might also happen with scenes that have huge scale - stuff like autocad imports of big developments.

4: Far as I know yes, it was an issue a while back but they got it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell
      2: You can't since vray has its own reflection type and those controls aren't available.
      actually I think you can, both via max's and vray's objects properties. if I understand the question correctly.

Originally posted by ntavian
      4: does vray support standard cameras with "correction modifiers" appled to them
      I think I remember there might be a problem (I remember having some weird dots showing up in a couple of cases), but you could sort it out unchecking "max-compatible shadecontext" in the system rollout.
      but I guess John's right and it's now sorted.

Comment

Re: various VRAY questions

Originally posted by ntavian
        just recently switched from over 10 years of using max scanline to vray and I had a couple of questions

1: is there still a need to include and exclude things from certain lights to improve render times?

2: is there still a need to include and exclude things from reflections calc's to improve render times, and how do I do it?

3: What does this mean? "warning: scene is too far away from origin. possible raycast errors"

i sure theres more but I will start with these

once again,

thanks
        1. It's possible yes, vray completely supports standard max lights, just press the "exclude" button on the modify panel with the light selected.
        2. I believe RC4 has support for excluding objects from reflections, although Vray does reflections very fast and I personally have not found it necessary to do this.
        3. CTRL-A, Group->group, F12, 0, 0, 0, should help fix this warning
        4. Yes, no problems here ever.

-Colin
        Colin Senner

Comment

Working...
        X