vray proxy file size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray proxy file size question

Im trying to start using proxies more and more... however, I have one question......

I have a max file that I saved out which is the mechanical ductwork in a building... The max file size is 1.2 MB but after exporting to proxy mesh the size is just under 7 MB.....

Does this make a difference? How does this help? I was referencing the max file in and thought proxies would help...

Any help would be appreciated to understand better.
    TIA,
    Arkitec

The proxy is not larger than what the mesh would take if it was stored in RAM. When you save the .max file, the meshes are stored in a more compact form to save space.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Additionally, you could use NTFS realtime compression to further decrease the size of vrmeshes (around half the original size on disk), without really adding anything measurable to reading times (well, on most of the new hardware, of course).
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Is there any point in doing that? unless your running REALLY low on diskspace.. cant see it being all that helpfull.

Comment

It may even speed up the rendering, on very large meshes, by reducing the number of disk reads required.
          If I go proxy, I am above 150 megs per mesh.
          Halving the size may make the difference between a wait @ render start and a snappier rendering phase.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

interesting. Might well be worth testing out i reckon.

Comment

Working...
            X