What eats up the ram more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What eats up the ram more?

Just curious about the the ram usage on max-files? Are the settings of vray more important or the poly amount of my model to save precious amount of ram? I know both eat up lots of ram if set or build with excessive use of numbers

thx in advance

ralf

Usually bitmap textures are the biggest RAM killer, though procedural materials tax the processor a lot more. Geometry is the second culprit.
    - Geoff

Comment

Displacement is a killer as well.

Comment

adaptive sub AA can be a killer too, adaptive qmc is much lighter.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Opacity maps - especially if your trees leaves are opacity mapped.
          www.morphic.tv
          www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Infrared digital
            Opacity maps - especially if your trees leaves are opacity mapped.
            The render penalty for using opactiy mapped leaves..etc.. can be greatly reduced by turning the filtering in the bitmap properties for the opactiy map to OFF

Comment

Would that cause a more aliased result or flickering when animated ?
              www.morphic.tv
              www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Nope. Not that I have noticed.

Comment

out of interest, when you say bitmap textures are the biggest RAM killer, what the best way to reduce this? will using more aggressive compression in a jpeg help or does it work the same ways real-time 3d does whereby the its the physical pixel size that makes the difference not the file size and does keeping pixel sizes to a power of 2 ie 512x512 or 1028x1028 etc.. have any effect of ram usage?

Comment

from what I've heard, max will make your image into a power of 2 memory wise. So your better off using that to your advantage.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

More compression on a JPG will make zero difference. The only difference will be obtained from a smaller resolution OR using an image format that uses indexed color such as GIF

Comment

your serious? i always thought the power of two thing was a myth

---------------------------------------------------
                        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

i swear i read that somewheres. I wish I remembered where though. I believe max only supports power of 2 textures so it converts it at rendertime. I always hoped I was wrong on that though.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

uncompressed image formats are lighter on memory than heavily compressed ones.
                            Chris Jackson
                            Shiftmedia
                            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Vray AFAIK reads in the image/texture pixel by pixel so image compression should not make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X