Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to do shader rounding/filleting right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to do shader rounding/filleting right now?

I think most of us saw this being done in Mental Ray. I think they introduced it in max9, maybe 8.5.

I just saw Final Render added it. I'm sure a while ago, but I noticed that they added it today.

I was wondering if this was something that's already available to us Vray fans, and I just didn't know it yet.

http://www.finalrender.com/products/...PID=36&FID=556

Nope. This has been mentioned before though in other threads. There's f-Edge, and it's $39USD. I haven't tried it with Vray, though I think people have had mixed results.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's what was added within final render.

Well, I hope this gets added some time then without a plugin. I don't like a barrage of plugins to be used. It just adds to the likeliness that you will crash.

I'm sure the vray guys can do something similar if 2 completely separate companies are doing the same thing. There have got to be some white papers explaining what they did somewhere out there which can somehow be transfered into vray's code.

Comment

actually I believe chaos introduced this technology to the public themselves. Why they have chosen to not implement it is a question I just might ask at the siggraph chaos user group meeting.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

That ISO surface thing that people have been playing with the SDK to produce coral-like geometry might be usable to do rendertime chamfering of objects.

Comment

In newer verisons VRayEdgesTex can be used as a bump map to the same effect.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I know that f-Edge doesn't do anything resembling filleting when you use it as a displace-map (I own it and I tried), but I can't help but wonder if something could be written that could.
              - Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                In newer verisons VRayEdgesTex can be used as a bump map to the same effect.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Vlado, do you have any examples to show?
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

wouldn't using the edges map in that way only Chamfer the edge, not round it? That's really what I'd be looking for.

Also, one really nice thing about the Mental Ray version is that you can specify an actual distance in the scene, not just screen pixels. I'm not sure what's available in the newer vray versions. I've requested them in the past for things we actually needed be I never even received a response saying yes or no. 1.5 fixed my problem so I haven't mentioned anything since, but still i was not happy at the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X