Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance of v-ray sun

Hello,

I am playing around with they gargoyle scene and I have noticed that if I have the v-ray sun pulled down close to the gargoyle I get a strong blue tint and when I pull the v-ray sun way up my scene looks pretty normal. How do we know where to place the v-ray sun? the distance from the model is what I am asking I guess. I didn't think it mattered until now. Is there a rule of thumb?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Distance from model doesn't matter. The angle from the model (in all 3 axis) is what is important.

Comment

Distance from v-ray sun

That is what I thought, but not in my test scene. I was confused on why my scene was so blue and when I pulled the sun up it fell back into range. My test scene has the sun directly over and perpendicular to my scene. I am using the gargoyle scene.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

how close or far did you have the sun to the model?

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Sun Distance

I am not sure, but it happened again. I linked my v-ray sun to my max daylight system and rendered. I got a very blue image. I moved the daylight system up and hour and back down and re-rendered, which corrected the issue. Strange....
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hi Glory, only the hight is important, the high, (the high=the angle, that's the same thing they are interdependant).
            but if you have problem with blue tint I recommend you the fabulous Lele's script EXPOSIMETER !!! which is perferct in your case, it have an auto white balance.
            You can also play with the white balance yourself in the cam, make a test
            =:-/
            Laurent

Comment

Exposure Meter

I was just looking into that meter. I'll check it out. I would like to know how many people darken their materials by the .255? Anyway to have a poll? I can make one on my site if needed. I would like to know if it is working for people.[/i]
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

WE DON"T use v-ray light or camera because of the big loop it takes you in. Its better to use HDRI environment, Max direct light, and Max camera. But you can learn one thing from the whole lwf thing: outdoor lighting is usually a lot stronger than your instincts will tell you. The best thing you can do to understand lighting is to go take a lot of photographs with a real camera. And take pictures at different times of day so you can see the difference the angle of the light makes on our real world environment.
                By the way: I really respect all the LWF guys. They know what they are talking about in the theoretical realm. The problem I find is that we are still stuck with output devices that can't perform for LWF, and therefore its a big circle.

Comment

LWF

So in your opinion the v-ray sun/sky/cam isn't a good combo? How do others feel?
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I think its a great combo.

big loop... well to each his own i guess.

Comment

The more I use the more I love it....But at first it does have a high learning curve I think....
                      Eric Camper
                      Studio 3D
                      www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

benny has a point - our monitors dont display the range, nor does print.

but its still better to use LWF imo.

and the vray sun is infinitely far away, its just the angle you set with a dummy.
                        WerT
                        www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy
                          WE DON"T use v-ray light or camera because of the big loop it takes you in. Its better to use HDRI environment, Max direct light, and Max camera. ... By the way: I really respect all the LWF guys. They know what they are talking about in the theoretical realm. The problem I find is that we are still stuck with output devices that can't perform for LWF, and therefore its a big circle.
                          Well, i'd say HDR imagery is a good find, overall, and while i am stuck without one of these (http://www.dolby.com/promo/hdr/technology.html), the technology is definitely coming, and i can still use it to greater effect than an 8 bit image, on 8 bit displays.
                          When you talk about using hdrs, you are doing EXACTLY the same thing you do with sun/sky/physcam, only with a slightly more limited range.
                          Sparring with one hand, so to speak.
                          Start using the rest of your body
                          Lele
                          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                          ----------------------
                          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Comment

HDRI

Then back to the HDRI topic. I bought several HDRI's, but I haven't had much luck. Should I use the HDRI in a V-ray skydome or in the environment override. Is the process the same as the video tutorial that I purchased with my v-ray? I forget the name, but I am sure you guys know which one.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X