Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

exponential vs Linear multiply (color mapping)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exponential vs Linear multiply (color mapping)

I was wondering what is the preferred choice (and difference) for the color mapping setting for interior scenes or exterior scenes.

it seems that using exponential color mapping (for interiors) creates a more even lighting solution than linear multiply, but what I am not getting is a bright environment map or a sense of transparency when looking out a window when using the exponential color mapping.

Linear muliply seems to give ms a brighter looking sky when looking out the window. what gives?

thanks in advance

i personally always use linear, which is the only way to give truly correct color values. All other methods change the colors in ways I dont particularly care for. I do use reinhard some when using the sun/sky though for its great burn value adjustments. FOR ME, if you can't get the lighting the way you like using linear, then you need to adjust your lighting/materials.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I use reinhard with the burn on around .2, and adjust the contrast/brightness of my materials to suit.

If you dont mind a bit of trial and error, colour alteration shouldnt be an issue. Do your base model, throw some basic lighting in, judge what kind of colour mapping you need and work from there.

Comment

Working...
      X