Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burn baby burn

Hi

I am looking for advice on which route to follow in creating flames in my scene. The type of flames i am looking for is those one would see from an open/flueless gas fire place, with the flames above the rocks (hope that was clear, if not i can look for a photo reference)

My modelling is not done in Max and I only use it for rendering with VRay, so my knowledge of what is all available with in Max to create these flames are very limited, but willing to learn just steer me in the right direction.

If possible I would prefer to look at option which won't require 3d party plug-ins to be bought.

Thanx

model bits of geometry in the shape of the fire and then use a load of falloff maps for the colouration and opacity.

Comment

Thanks joconell, it reminds me of a tut I saw for Maya, will search for it again and study it.

However I am hoping for a solution were the flames will contribute to the lighting in the room. Will this option provide that? Do I need to use VRay illumination material and can loads of falloff maps be use with this material.

Or should I be looking in a different direction? Can Particle flow be used for the creation of such flames?

Thanx

Comment

Maybe you can try to use pflow particles or a plain particle volume with simple fields. Then use simple fire-like gradient. Some postwork and here's da fire
        I just can't seem to trust myself
        So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
        ---------------------------------------------------------
        CG Artist

Comment

Yup - if you use light materials then they can contribute to the gi if you're using it. If you're not using gi then put a light in the centre of your fire and maybe use a noise controller on the multiplier to add some flicker.

Comment

Working...
          X