Proper Network Setup for DR and Backburner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Network Setup for DR and Backburner

I'm looking for all of your advice on proper network setup for rendering. I figure some of you guys have more expertise in this area and can help out.

My Current Setup/Situation:
    Right now I have a bunch of machines (under 10) all XP x64 networked and connected by gigabit switches. There's no Windows Server or Samba or any other official server. I do have one slower x32 XP Professional box which holds my model files and textures. All the computers pull from there.

My Unofficial Server Is:
    AMD 2400
    2 Gigs RAM
    Windows XP x32

My Network Setup Is:
    1) Cable Modem for Internet
    2) Dlink Gigabit Network Switch/Router connected to cable modem.
    3) Dlink Gigabit Network Switch (additional for more ports)
    4) Netgear Gigabit Network Switch (added to increase distance to other room.)

I previously had Netgear Gigabit GS108 Switches - both which fried in power outages. Also, the network seems to run better/more stable without them prior to them frying.

Overall, the connection now seems fine. There are a few problems however:

1) I start DR and the buckets on other slower machines take a long time before they pick up. By the time they do, the main machine has already rendered through nearly half the scene.

2) If I save an irradiance map or lightcache to the x32 server and run a render afterwards, they all pick up right away and start rendering. Sometimes however, they start to render and it seems as if they didn't pick up all the textures off the server (it's as if they are still busy loading.) The buckets on these slaves turn dark or textureless. Often, this is corrected by restarting the render again. It's as if pulling textures from the server is creating a bottleneck and it's overloaded.

Some might say the having 'Check for missing files' may help - but I found this made my renders take VERY/unacceptably long over DR.

So my questions for all of you networking experts out there are:
    1) Do you recommend an actual server such as Server 2003 or Samba to store files and manage the network? Any others? If so, why and how do they perform better? Is there anything which is 'dummy-proof' without needing a degree in network engineering?

2) Would getting a better machine than the x32 (which is more or less my server) probably be the biggest problem I face?

3) Any recommended switches, routers, or ethernet adapters?

4) Simple File Sharing on or off?

5) Host files edited to point Computer Names to IP Addresses under \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts ? Done.

6) Dynamic DNS changed to Static IPs? Done.

7) Gigabit networking (I think this is a given but I'm posting this anyways for others.) Done.

Does having an Alternate DNS Address (under TCP/IP) really help? Done.

9) Max Timeouts Set to Max. Done.

If there's any other things you guys feel that you can add to this list of networking questions, please do.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

what i have is a 32 bit 2003 server, which does the DHCP - and file serving, including textures and scenes.

this is on a dual gb nic

all slaves are single gb nics, on xp64

and the workstation is the same

i have one router for the internet that is 10/100mb which has its dhcp turned off. its a billion.

7) there is gb networking and there is real gb networking.

your system has bottle necks where perhaps several machines talk through one link to the next router, and who knows how fast each router is internally when all ports are functioning?

I have one 24 port / 48gb / second switch. I was finding that 'toy' switches didn't have the through put to deal with all the slaves making requests at once.

so i got a serious switch that can handle ALL ports talking to multiple ports at once at full speed.

this might be an area you need to address.
    there is nothing wrong with longer cables, cat 6 should handle full speed up to 50metres away.
    WerT
    www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Ok - well for my issue we have two votes so far:

1) Daforce (over IM) said he thinks it's probably the server computer being underpowered. One way to test this is throw the files on another computer and see how the network handles it. Unfortunately, these 'errors' are random so I will have to wait a little bit.

2) Werticus I think is pointing to the gigabit network itself. In the past, I have experienced better reliability by removing Netgear switches from my network. I will not buy Netgear switches any longer.

Comment

I would definately suggest a dedicated fileserver. And i would definately suggest a linux fileserver too. Tho you should be knowing what you are doing when setting up a *nix server (But you should know so too when you set up a 2k3 server box :P ).

I dont know what kind of netgears you had, but we are pretty happy with the netgears and try to get netgear whenever possible. Didnt have any troubles so far. What do you mean with "Without the netgear" ? Simply removing them or replacing them ? You can really mess a network up sometimes by creating loops that make routers/switches fight each other. Having seperated networks for rendering and workstation also helps. Given you got a server with two dedicated nics each routing into one of the networks. For the fileserver i would also suggest a raid. There's quite a lot of disk-usage involved in rendering.

And then you might want to monitor your network (using cacti, nagios or plain snmp) to find the actual bottlenecks while rendering.

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

what im saying is not all so called gb switches can actually handle all ports at full speed at the same time.

also i have raid 5 on my file server with a proper raid controller not on-board rubbish.
          WerT
          www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

mind you that besides switches and routers there are a lot of limitations still with GB networks. Samba will usually peak at around 600MBit even on rather performant machines. so GBit is not GBit per se

Thorsten

Comment

what im saying is not all so called gb switches can actually handle all ports at full speed at the same time

Ugh. I hope that they are although they are consumer level (not business). I've been recommend the Dell professional switches by a friend that has done networking and security for Bill Gates home as well as many other high-profile clients.

Unfortunately, these higher-end switches go for over $1,000 US+.

As for Netgear, I've had two consumer level switches break within two months of each other. One had persistent problems over the course of the year as it was dropping files (I didn't realize this was the problem till it actually died and got replaced.)

They offered to replace both for free, however I had to pay for shipping and handling...

Comment

jujubee,

I had the same problem. The fix was getting a professional switch and a faster server with Win 2003 Server. Renders are now much faster and more stable.

Craig

Comment

Out of curiousity, what switch did you get?

Also, is 2003 server a pain to set up? Anything I would need to do?

Comment

Cisco Catalyst 3560G PoE-24 Switch.

W.2003.S was no problem to set up and I'm not the most technically savvy guy in town.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X