curtain material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curtain material

Has anybody made a nice curtain material like this?

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...n_morning_.png

I haven't quite gotten the hang of the 2 side material yet.
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

Yes, sure. I made that one.

(*) Use a VRay2Sided Material
    (*) Leave the back material empty, so V-Ray uses the front material for both sides.
    (*) Use a fallof map for the diffuse slot, adjusting your colours for the curtain. U can use a map as well if there is some kind of texture.
    (*) Play either with the Opacity (prolly an output map in it), or the refraction,
    to get the desired transparency level.
    Remember if u use the refraction value, better set the IOR to 1.0, to fasten the raytracing.

(*) There is also a reflection/highlight added to the material, with Reflection tracing turned off, so u get only highlights.
    (*) Remember that VRay2Sided Material prefers non-shelled geometry, otherwise u may hit the render-time quite much .
    In this case the curtain is a SimCloth simulated plane.

That's it !

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

any chance to share this mat?

thx

Comment

Give me a min, to make the shots.

Adjust the Translucency value of the VRay2Sided material, to get the desired
        blend.

Best regards,
        nikki Candelero

Comment

Great! Thank you. Mine don't look as good as yours when I render it, but it I'm sure it's something in the scene setup. I guess my problem is that the curtains seem to underexpose the sky, and where there are no curtains over the window, they sky is pure white. Doesn't quite look right.
          Tim Nelson
          timnelson3d.com

Comment

Thanks you SO much for explaining your setup for the curtains. I just rendered out a quick test using your settings and it looks awesome. This will really help out my image if there needs to be curtains present.

Comment

@ Nikki

I have tried this and it works really well. However, the translucency of the curtain does not appear to be included in an alpha map. Therefore if I comp a background into a scene I can see the window frame thru the curtain but not the background.

Any ideas....?

Thanks

Comment

You will have to make the base material transparent as well.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado, is this "base" material the front material or the back material?

Comment

In the case where you are using one material, it should be that material; if you have different front/back materials, then they both should have some transparency, if you want the final result to be transparent as well.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Thanks very much.......!

Comment

Originally posted by voltron7
                        Vlado, is this "base" material the front material or the back material?
                        As Vlado mentioned...
                        I would only add that it depends on how your geometry is rotated - frontface or backface to the camera.

Usually on non-shelled geometry (i.e. Plane) rotating in the viewport, you would normally see only the one side of the geometry - so the FRONT material will fall on those polygons with their normals, and the BACK material would go for the back-side of the polys, (which you actually don't see in the viewport), except if you haven't turned on/off the backface cull.

Best regards,
                        nikki candelero

Comment

Originally posted by vlado

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          In the example there is a refraction value of 30 - is this not transparency then?

My curtains are created from extruded splines so as to have no thickness - is this correct?

Thanks

Comment

I'll throw my two cents in here... I actually liked the results better in this example not using the vray 2sided material which I think works better when brightly backlit. This is an EXTREMELY simple material setup. We "model" the curtains with a cloth sim rig we have set up.

EDIT: Media Temple has been spotty all day today, if the images don't load, it is their fault

Comment

I too have gone with the standard max material with a nice falloff opacity in some cases.... it couldn't hurt to try it in your scene.
                              Architecture Drop-out...

Comment

Working...
                              X