Vray rendering taking up all system resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray rendering taking up all system resources

as mentioned above - at our offices, the render farms not ready yet so we're using our boxes to render but being an inhouse archi-viz team, we need to do photoshop/emails/etc...misc to get through the stuff we have to do daily but we're finding out that with vray 1.5 final that this happens so it cripples our workflow a bit.

Anyone know how to change/fix this? Its probably a setting in MAX/Vray somewhere?

i use process tamer. when 3dsmax is using more than 80% of the CPU load, it throttles its priority back to low so you can work in other applications. when 3dsmax finishes rendering it increases the priority back to normal. not perfect, but it will allow you to do other things while your machine is rendering.

you can thank Jeff Mottle for originally recommending this app.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/processtamer.html

Comment

There is also an option in the System rollout of V-Ray called "Low thread priority" that will cause V-Ray to use render threads with lower priority.

There is also a way to make the 3ds Max process have below normal prioriry always, but I can't remember how this was done exactly...

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

i think it is on scriptspot somewhere, it's a macroscript that is supposed to go to the startup folder to be autoloaded.

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

Isn't there a way to make Max use only 3 of your 4 cores on your workstation? I can't figure it out right now though...
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton Santiago
            Isn't there a way to make Max use only 3 of your 4 cores on your workstation? I can't figure it out right now though...
            Task Manager - Processes - 3dsmax.exe - right click - set affinity
            the purpose of a ninja is to flip out and kill people.
            the purpose of an architect is to flip out and design for people.

Comment

careful with that set affinity crap its contageous. I did that once, and for weeks every process i started would only start up using 1 processor. i had to manually set affinity every time for ages before it went away!
              Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

This is the one:

http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/setpriority

I just did this two days ago on co-workers machines that I've co-opted for an urgent render job...you just take the level you want and drop it into the scripts>startup directory (on each computer)

One thing I've noticed, if you use it for rendernodes, it seams it'll only work on files created with the script loaded...I haven't fully tested that theory though...

Eric.

Comment

thanks a lot - ONLY after I fired off an email with the "suggestions" did our IT guy come running say "We"re not buying or installing non-standard software"... and suggested we do the set affinity thing.

will try that script + vlados suggestion

thanks a lot

Comment

as vlado mentioned, low priority works fine for stuff like Photoshop..
                    Natty
                    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Yeah you just need this code saved into priority.ms and dumped into the maxscript startup folder.

Code:
                      sysinfo.maxpriority = #low

Comment

I dont see why you cant just tick the low priority tick box? surly it will do the same..
                        Natty
                        http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

well sure.

But this affects max in its entirety not just vray. Plus you wont need to hit the tick box each time.

Just makes things a little easier. (very little if any )

Comment

this is uncanny! somebody else posting a similar issue just 24 hours apart!

i will look into the priority options, but what i don't get is why this is necessary. with previous software, we didn't need to bother with tweaking priorities - it just worked. also, why isn't there a 'lock up' when doing DR renders?
                            Kind Regards,
                            Richard Birket
                            ----------------------------------->
                            http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

In DR mode, V-Ray automatically uses low priority threads.

Also, this to a very large extent depends on the thread scheduling performed by the OS. For example, when I was on WinXP 32-bit, I rarely had to demote the 3ds Max priority to work in something else. However, when I moved to WinXP 64-bit, this was no longer the case... on Vista, things seemed better again.

Also of note, in newer versions of V-Ray there is significantly less thread locking, allowing all the threads to run full in parallel, instead of waiting for each other to release some common resource.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                              X