Help Creating Vertical Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Creating Vertical Garden

Have a project where the clients have designed in a huge vertical planted wall looking like this

Any help of how you guys might recreate this in 3d would be great. Have tried a few displacement things resulting in memory eating up and the result not good enough for the client. Was thinking of doing a photoshop-gig soon but have a feeling it might be look very flat. If I had better ref images I might be able to map it on to some geometry and displace that?

Any suggestions would be great
    Cheers

T

tell the client if he doesn't get you better ref images, be prepared to be happy with the best you can give him. That thing looks a nightmare.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

/agree
      Colin Senner

Comment

particle flow with placement maps?
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

I can think of several ways to do it. The easiest would be to use generic grass and leafy textures and displace parts to make them appear organic. To make it look realistic I would add cutout billboards with foliage and even use hair & fur or vrayfur to make grass. As long as you break it up a bit it shouldn't be too difficult.

Comment

ha! that doesnt look too bad.
            One way you can do it is just treat it like a normal flat garden.
            Make up some plants or use some plant libraries and place/paint them round the walls.
            Would take a little while to do, but it wont be too hard.

If you need some more help let me know im happy to help out. I have become a bit of a lanscaping master with my last few projects
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Couple of 3d plants for major features, shitloads of photoshop.

Doing it in photoshop only looks as good as what youre using, so get out taking ref. photos.

Comment

indeed some basic 3d models, with grass as your start layer.
                use. evermotion has some nice dvd with plants and maybe some specific plant software such as onyx.

then loads of photoshop indeed
                My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

cheers guys

Thanks for all the suggestions
                  I have asked the client for a better ref photo/texture to start with.
                  not too easy since this is dublin and not really the centre of the world. As far as I know the closest wall like this is in Paris. (any french vray users out there ?)

No time at the moment to do it all in 3d so I think a hybrid version as suggested might be the way to go but first better photos! In the mean time
                  id better do some crappy photoshop thing because they want an update for tmrw......

t

Comment

Maybe vue 6 could do it.

but.. argh it doesnt use vray, only mental reay if you use x-stream

Comment

i think max's scatter tool would do a great job with creating this.

create a mesh that loosly fits the wall, and is the shape of the particular planting area you want to do. create one of the flowers or leaves with the Onyx or something similar. scatter that object across the meshed surface. i would probably keep the surface instead of hiding it, and do a light vray displace to give the leaves or flowers a bed to sit in.

Comment

Ivy Generator

Have you seen the Ivy Generator?

I played with this for a while.... Pretty cool; however i did have some problems with importing what was generated with it....

Iwould think if you generate several ivies and place them together with a several texture maps it would at least get you started....

Here is the website:

http://www.graphics.uni-konstanz.de/...ivy_generator/

Arkitec

Comment

[quote="cubiclegangster"]Couple of 3d plants for major features, shitloads of photoshop.

I agree. VrayFur + Scatter objects would do the trick but I would render it in several passes and blend to taste in PS. You would be surprised what a little blur over the grassy parts will do for the feel of the image.
                          Architecture Drop-out...

Comment

if you are doing it in 3d, the advanced painter might be useful.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/advanced-painter

-oconv

Comment

Originally posted by tbny
                              As far as I know the closest wall like this is in Paris. (any french vray users out there ?)
                              I didnt mean photoshop an existing wall like that over it, I meant to use hedges, random plants and any bits of greenery you can get to mix in with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X