dealing with exr's in photoshop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealing with exr's in photoshop?

how is everyone using photoshop, and exr's? adobe changed the way photoshop process's exr'x with version cs3, and it really gives me a headache. the alpha channels are included

i have tried openexr plug-in, but it seems to only be active half the time. actually, it seems that anything sent through backburner won't use the plug-in, and will only use photoshops native exr plug-in.

does anyone know of another apps that can process or convert exr's, or how are others dealing with this?

Try replacing the current photoshop exr importer with an older one if you have it (I think the original CS was working OK).
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

sweet. that worked like a charm. i used the one from CS2.

Comment

Whats the name of the exporter to copy from CS2 as I'm fed up with losing my sky in CS3?

Comment

Hi, I hope I'm not way off, but, if i save my exr from vfb, and choose "pre-multiply alpha" then it opens in CS3 with my BG. Is this a bad way of doing this (pre-multiply alpha)? I just know, with it checked, my backgrounds are included, when unchecked, the background is gone...Can anyone explain... I have always wondered about the options you get when saving from the FBuffer...
          Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus View Post
            Whats the name of the exporter to copy from CS2 as I'm fed up with losing my sky in CS3?
            I don't know why Adobe messed up the importer. If you've still got a CS2 installed, look for exr in the plugins/file formats folder of the application. First thing to do after a CS3 install imo.

Best regards,

A.
            credit for avatar goes here

Comment

I actually like the feature for compositing in ps. You don't have to do the additional step of loading the alpha selection and deleting the background later.
              "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

i agree Clifton, so do i but i have to say that the PS hadles alpha awefully....i ve read ProEXR hadles it much better....quite useful and inexpensive lugin for PS
                teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

Yea it's quite a nice lugin indeed :P

Comment

Does anyone else find the plug in very slow to load the exr at first, 10 mins+?

Comment

Yes it is slow. I cant understand why is that slow, when u can import the same exr into fusion and it's lightspeed.
                      Besides u need to hold ALT while loading the file in photoshop to make proexr load the alpha as a separate layer, which kinda sucks when u have to be there pressing the damn button for 20 images.

Im wondering if u have to press ALT during ALL the loading process or just at the beginning, but i havent risked yet. What would happen if we stopped pressing the button? Do u think the hatch would explode? Or the entire island?
                      My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
                      Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
                      Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

I believe there's gonna be an option to make the alt behaviour the default in the future. As for the speed, I don't know the reason though might be a limitation with the photoshop plugin framework.

Comment

Originally posted by panthon View Post
                          What would happen if we stopped pressing the button? Do u think the hatch would explode? Or the entire island?
                          All should be okay as long as you get Desmond to turn the key in time

as for PS, I just wish there was an option when opening the EXR as to the alpha channel is handled.......If they were gonna mess with it, the should have left some legacy control, at least pulling in the old EXR plug from CS2 works
                          Last edited by bKittsARC; 14-12-2007, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Okay, so, if I purchased CS3, straight from 7.0, is there a way to get the "good" CS2 importer? Anyone care to email or upload it?

Comment

Working...
                            X