Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Editor speed?

Ok can't find thread about that...
    I know that it's VRay that render the little sphere in the material editor.
    What are the VRay settings used to render it??? Does it use the same settings
    that is currently in the render dialog or others?? Can we have lightning speed setting for the material editor cause right now I take a lots of time to show my materials..

Regards,

there was a bug with r3 that made it take ages if the license server was on the same machine....

but final release has more or less fixed it. mine loads half ... in a second and then pauses for 2 seconds and loads all the rest within another second... over a network too for the maps.
    WerT
    www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Ok thanks, im on RC5 at the moment. It's just that I was wondering If we can control the settings....

Well thanks.

Comment

you can also use a custom scene with GI if that's what you want....or use a sphere with lower settings...

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

Hehe thanks that's what I was looking for but can you tell me how or your keeping it secret.. :P

regards,

Comment

Bumping this thread to see if there's an answer to the original question; ie what are the settings that vray uses to render the spheres?

I tried playing around with the reflection glossiness subdivs and I need to put them up to around 140 to get rid of the noise.

It would be interesting to know what the math involved is so we could potentially, from the material editor, work out the number of samples required to get a nice noiseless glossy reflection/refraction. I know its no substiture for real renders but it might offer an allternative workflow for tuning the number of samples required on a material by material basis rather than overall noise threshold.... maybe not!
            Patrick Macdonald
            Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

I think this is what custom scenes good for. For example, I have a sunny outside sphere with some basic GI, sun and sky if I have to work with outdoor scenes because the lightning conditions outside differ so much from a studio room. And I think this goes too for noise levels.

The noise threshold in the default preview scene must be set to a very low level, since you hardly can get rid of the noise, this must be a reasonable setup, if you want acceptable rendertimes in medit.

However, I always thought it would be a great feature if VRay would progressively render the medit samples with ppt in the background, and on the lowest priority. This way, you could make any change to the shader rapidly, and if you don't care about the visual feedback, you could just skip the wait for the lot updating, and eventually come back to check upon the shader, when it's clear enough. Now I'm not talking about minutes, but seconds, but in the haste of work waiting for an medit update for a few seconds can seem like hours.

Maybe the realtime preview features could be implemented here as well. I know the whole system would be better off without MAX, but many of us are bound to it.

best regards,

A.
              credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Working...
              X